OP JunkTardis

23rd April 2014, 08:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Hereford
Thanks Meter: 3

13 posts
Donate to Me
More
Okay so this is my first thread here, so I apologize if this has already been covered. My problem is this.

I have an unlocked bootloader and TWRP recovery installed. I installed VenomROM without a hitch. Phone has been working superbly for the entire time. I decided in developer options to give ART a try, so I switched from Dalvik to ART. The phone requested that I reboot the device, so I did. But now the device refuses to boot into the OS at all. The HTC splash screen comes up, then the ViperONE bootscreen and it just hangs on this. If I do a hard reset using the power and vol up key to reboot, it just repeats the procedure over again. If I leave it for a prolonged period it doesn't do anything, just stays hanging. I have connected it via USB and tried using fasboot recovery commands and fastboot bootloader commands but it just says 'error device not found'.

Is there any way to enable Dalvik through USB or reboot back into TWRP?

Essential info:

HTC One M8
Latest TWRP Recovery
USB Debugging (Not enabled, cant enable it if I cant get into the phone)
23rd April 2014, 09:42 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,547

5,194 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkTardis

Okay so this is my first thread here, so I apologize if this has already been covered. My problem is this.

I have an unlocked bootloader and TWRP recovery installed. I installed VenomROM without a hitch. Phone has been working superbly for the entire time. I decided in developer options to give ART a try, so I switched from Dalvik to ART. The phone requested that I reboot the device, so I did. But now the device refuses to boot into the OS at all. The HTC splash screen comes up, then the ViperONE bootscreen and it just hangs on this. If I do a hard reset using the power and vol up key to reboot, it just repeats the procedure over again. If I leave it for a prolonged period it doesn't do anything, just stays hanging. I have connected it via USB and tried using fasboot recovery commands and fastboot bootloader commands but it just says 'error device not found'.

Essential info:

HTC One M8
Latest TWRP Recovery

best thing is go to recovery factory reset and flash viper again
get to recovery by power vol down just in case you dont know
The Following User Says Thank You to jaythenut For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2014, 10:17 PM   |  #3  
Flag Galashiels (Scotland)
Thanks Meter: 173

571 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkTardis

Essential info:

HTC One M8
Latest TWRP Recovery

there is 2 flashable zips in nexus 5 forum to swap between dalvik and art cant see why they shouldnt work can all ways ask and just side load them and flash them in recovery
The Following User Says Thank You to strikerdj2011 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2014, 10:24 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Hereford

13 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythenut

best thing is go to recovery factory reset and flash viper again
get to recovery by power vol down just in case you dont know

That did not work at all, the entire phone was completely frozen on the Venom bootscreen. I did manage with some fiddling to get into Recovery. I did Power+VolUp to force reboot the device, then when the screen went black very quickly switched and did Power+VolDown to enter HBOOT and go to TWRP from there. Painstaking, and took a few goes. Luckily I still had my VenomRom on the USB Stick and after trying multiple different options in TWRP I made sure I had a backup of my data, and reinstalled Venom fresh with a full wipe. I tried doing just an install over it, as that's worked in the past - but the issue persisted. A full wipe was required.

For future until this bug is resolved, if you want to try ART on the One M8 with Venom, make sure to have a nandroid backup to hand as always. Mine was 2 days out of date, but no real loss to me

Thanks for your help!
23rd April 2014, 10:38 PM   |  #5  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 4,772

5,558 posts
Donate to Me
More
Do an adb pull you should still have adb access at the boot screen.
/data/property/persist.sys.dalvik.vm.lib is a textfile containing one of two values: 'libart.so' or 'libdvm.so'. You can change from ART to Dalvik simply by editing this file.

Ex: adb shell 'echo libdvm.so >/data/property/persist.sys.dalvik.vm.lib'

It's because deodexed roms can't use art

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to graffixnyc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th April 2014, 03:50 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Hereford

13 posts
Donate to Me
More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffixnyc

Do an adb pull you should still have adb access at the boot screen.
/data/property/persist.sys.dalvik.vm.lib is a textfile containing one of two values: 'libart.so' or 'libdvm.so'. You can change from ART to Dalvik simply by editing this file.

Ex: adb shell 'echo libdvm.so >/data/property/persist.sys.dalvik.vm.lib'

It's because deodexed roms can't use art

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

That has actually helped me, and I appreciate it. I'm relatively experienced and comfortable in doing a lot of Android things such as bootloader unlocking and editing system files but I had no clue that deodexed roms can't use ART. I should submit a warning to the VenomDevs to grey out or hide the option in Developer Options or at least provide a warning
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread