Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,091 Members 53,087 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help flashing recovery to my GN3!!!

Tip us?

JunkheadINC
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Default Help flashing recovery to my GN3!!!

I have SGN3 N900a build # n900aucubnb4 how can I flash recovery (twrp/cwm) ? Can't find ANYTHING about it anywhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
-junkheadINC

(Twitter: @theWeatherbuzz)
(G+ https://plus.google.com/101804893084851015893
*Currently using Samsung Galaxy Note 3 / Asus Nexus 7 32gig 2013 edition*

Face_Plant
Old
Thanks Meter 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkheadINC View Post
I have SGN3 N900a build # n900aucubnb4 how can I flash recovery (twrp/cwm) ? Can't find ANYTHING about it anywhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
You can't flash any custom recoveries because the bootloader is locked. The only thing we have close to it is Safestrap. Look at the Safestrap thread in the development section. It will tell you all you need to know.

And for the record, there is a TON of stuff out there about the locked bootloader preventing custom recoveries, kernels, AOSP ROMs, etc.

JunkheadINC
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Do I need to update to KK And I'll be able to use regular recovery?

- junkheadINC
{[/Galaxy Note 3, N900A/]}
-junkheadINC

JunkheadINC
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
I did not want to update due to the fact I could send apps to the SD anymore.

- junkheadINC
-junkheadINC

Face_Plant
Old
Thanks Meter 183
The bootloader is locked on KitKat as well. "Upgrading" to KitKat would be even worse because there is no root for it yet and once you install the official update you cannot go back to 4.3.

There is absolutely NO way to use custom recoveries, custom kernels, or AOSP ROMs on the N900A because the bootloader is locked in all firmware versions for the N900A. There is no way to unlock it and probably never will be unless AT&T releases an update that unlocks it, which is very unlikely.

If you want TWRP, CM11, and custom kernels, sell your AT&T Note 3 and buy the T-Mobile version. It has an unlocked bootloader so you can do whatever you want to it. It is fully compatible with AT&T's network. There are guides around here somewhere that go more in depth and explain how too do it.

JunkheadINC
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Thanks man. I got safestrap installed now. What r the down sides to using that? I'm on the ATT next program. I return my phones every 18months for new ones so I can't trade or sell it.

- junkheadINC
-junkheadINC

Face_Plant
Old
Thanks Meter 183
The only major downsides in my opinion are if you try to do the hold volume up+home+power button to get to recovery (or is it volume down? I forget...), you go straight to the stock recovery instead of Safestrap. Also, if you don't hit the button to boot into Safestrap in time you have to wait for the phone to finish booting, turn it off, and try again. You can't flash kernels with it either, but that's not Safestrap's fault.

It has its upsides as well. You get several slots for flashing ROMs and mods so you can run several different ROMs at the same time without having to wipe out your phone to try a new ROM. Each ROM you flash has to be based off the same version of android, though. That means no Fire Note in the stock slot, Dynamic KitKat in the first, S5 experience in the second, etc. There's more discussion about that in the Safestrap thread.