How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] (Q) Root why not to?

OP Paland49

19th April 2014, 01:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
11 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
I know that root your S5 will trip knox.
I know that some have been saying that, if you root, that you can cant get connection to the update sever.
But what other issuse is there.

Sorry for the spelling, but im dyslexic.
19th April 2014, 01:20 PM   |  #2  
radicalisto's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag York
Thanks Meter: 1,511
 
3,701 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paland49

I know that root your S5 will trip knox.
I know that some have been saying that, if you root, that you can cant get connection to the update sever.
But what other issuse is there.

Sorry for the spelling, but im dyslexic.

Regarding KNOX there is a massive grey area around it, will Samsung carry out warranty work if it's tripped. Some report yes, some report no, some just don't know but guess.

It's all down to you really, if you feel rooting is a benefit to you then it might be worth losing OTA/Knox(warranty) etc. I rooted my Note 3 and tripped KNOX the day I got it, and tbh I never had issues.
19th April 2014, 01:27 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
11 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto

Regarding KNOX there is a massive grey area around it, will Samsung carry out warranty work if it's tripped. Some report yes, some report no, some just don't know but guess.

It's all down to you really, if you feel rooting is a benefit to you then it might be worth losing OTA/Knox(warranty) etc. I rooted my Note 3 and tripped KNOX the day I got it, and tbh I never had issues.

I got a Note 10.1 2014 and I have root it. i really like to options root gives me, like frezzing app's i dont need or use and ADAway. But im not sure to root my S5 or not to.
19th April 2014, 01:28 PM   |  #4  
radicalisto's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag York
Thanks Meter: 1,511
 
3,701 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Donate to Me
More
Ask yourself if you really need root right now, if not then don't risk it, if you do then go ahead and do what you need etc.
19th April 2014, 01:38 PM   |  #5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
20 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
hmm, I think the real question is about the risk versus benefits...
Thing is I refuse to share my device with my compagny, if I own the hardware then all software limits are unacceptable.period.

Now, getting root is not for all and every user, so unless you know what you do then don't go for it...
I think that since most of our digital life happen on mobile device nowadays, empowerment is mandatory.
We can't let big company decide for us, too much is at stake.

For example, I use Xposed module with Xprivacy in order to have control over what data of mine are shared with internet.
Root only brings you control, not only choices, and that's what matter!
The Following User Says Thank You to vorta251 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th April 2014, 04:19 PM   |  #6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
71 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorta251

hmm, I think the real question is about the risk versus benefits...
Thing is I refuse to share my device with my compagny, if I own the hardware then all software limits are unacceptable.period.

Now, getting root is not for all and every user, so unless you know what you do then don't go for it...
I think that since most of our digital life happen on mobile device nowadays, empowerment is mandatory.
We can't let big company decide for us, too much is at stake.

For example, I use Xposed module with Xprivacy in order to have control over what data of mine are shared with internet.
Root only brings you control, not only choices, and that's what matter!

I am very interested in the privacy point you make was just wondering if you could expand on what Xposed module and xprivacy do. Sorry fairly new to rooting and mods. I have a stock Telus s5 900w8 thanks in advance
Last edited by Ffinger; 19th April 2014 at 04:24 PM.
24th April 2014, 06:53 PM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
20 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffinger

I am very interested in the privacy point you make was just wondering if you could expand on what Xposed module and xprivacy do. Sorry fairly new to rooting and mods. I have a stock Telus s5 900w8 thanks in advance

Xposed is a framework that allow module to run at a system level WITHOUT to have to modify your rom (it's very much alike to what winterboard is to jailbreaked Iphone).

Modules are very different from added functionality to cosmetic changes.

Xprivacy is not blocking any permissions for the apps, instead you can generate random informations and choose to give it to the apps.
The apps never crash because of Xprivacy, for example, Facebook thing I live in finland (i'm located in Asia)
So you can decide app by app what you allow and what you don't.

You'll find plenty of info about these topics here on xda!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes