Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,962 Members 40,695 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My classroom tablet is acting up...

Tip us?

papa tacos
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default My classroom tablet is acting up...

I think I have a problem that has not been covered yet. I have an Acer A500 that works just fine but will randomly restart. When it restarts it always hangs at the Acer logo. I can then hold the power button to turn the tablet off and then turn it back on again and it will start up fine without issue but will then restart again a short while later. I notice it happen maybe 10 times a day, possibly more. The other day it went a couples hours without a restart but eventually did. My students can play games, get on the internet, etc just fine until it resets again. I believe it has only reset when in standby but I cant say for sure.

The OS is up to date. I tried a hard reset and reset with the OS to factory settings several times without luck. It can have 100 apps on it and reset or no apps on it, it doesnt matter. I notice no difference in turning off the wifi. It doesnt seem to reset on a schedule.

Any ideas? It sure would be nice if my students could actually use the tablet rather than have it sitting around doing nothing.

dibb_nz
Old
Thanks Meter 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa tacos View Post
I think I have a problem that has not been covered yet. I have an Acer A500 that works just fine but will randomly restart. When it restarts it always hangs at the Acer logo. I can then hold the power button to turn the tablet off and then turn it back on again and it will start up fine without issue but will then restart again a short while later. I notice it happen maybe 10 times a day, possibly more. The other day it went a couples hours without a restart but eventually did. My students can play games, get on the internet, etc just fine until it resets again. I believe it has only reset when in standby but I cant say for sure.

The OS is up to date. I tried a hard reset and reset with the OS to factory settings several times without luck. It can have 100 apps on it and reset or no apps on it, it doesnt matter. I notice no difference in turning off the wifi. It doesnt seem to reset on a schedule.

Any ideas? It sure would be nice if my students could actually use the tablet rather than have it sitting around doing nothing.
If it's running stock ics, it's a common issue. Blame Acer and their buggy rom.

You could perform a data reset but that wipes all user data.

You may want to install custom rom, but you will need the tabs cpuid and skrilax_cz unlocked boot loader plus a good couple ours for prep and installation. See the root guide in my Sig for info

dibb

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Acer Iconia a500: Guides & How to's

Guide - Where's my CPUID at
How To - Root, unbrick ICS
How To - Flash unlocked bootloader w/apxFlash Tool
How To - Flash unlocked bootloader w/Manual nvFlash

Iconia A500: CM 10 Flex JB
GT I9300: Stock
HTC ONE M7: Stock s-off