Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,728 Members 43,985 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Updating new One XL for my father?

Tip us?

redpoint73
Old
(Last edited by redpoint73; 17th April 2014 at 08:42 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguarandine View Post
but the Chinese variant probably shares the same hardware as the AT&T version.
How are you coming to these assumptions? On the GSM Arena page, it says LTE bands 1800 and 2600 MHz. If that is true, its not the same as the AT&T's version, which supports LTE 700, 1700, and 2100 MHz.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_xl-4572.php
http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_x_at&t-4614.php

The 1800 and 2600 bands seems to make sense for China, according to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)

Jaguarandine
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
The Chinese variant is the phone I have for my dad. This phone was able to get LTE in the Bay Area.

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,960
Quote:
The Chinese variant is the phone I have for my dad. This phone was able to get LTE in the Bay Area.
Then that would mean the GSM Arena specs are incorrect (not surprising, this is often the case). Unless you can find the band support specs for that exact variant, you really have no way of knowing it will get LTE (or HSPA for that matter) until your dad puts his SIM in.

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,836

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
Then that would mean the GSM Arena specs are incorrect (not surprising, this is often the case). Unless you can find the band support specs for that exact variant, you really have no way of knowing it will get LTE (or HSPA for that matter) until your dad puts his SIM in.
I have the Hong Kong variant and I'm pretty sure the LTE bands supported are 1800/2600, whether there's another Chinese model available I'm not sure though but I think this is it.

Sent from my Evita
OnePlus One | crDroid/AK.033 | TWRP 2.7.1.1

Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!

Jaguarandine
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
It's a mystery! Lol. The ebay seller that we bought the phone from advertises the same bands that gsmarena shows for the One XL. I really think swapping out the radio gave the XL the ability to use ATT bands for LTE.

I guess we'll find out soon enough because I just shipped the phone off to my dad. I decided to use the T-Mobile 3G APN settings rather than LTE. If he's so inclined, I'll work with him to change them should he want to test LTE down the road. But it shouldnt bother him much; he's not a power user. I'll be sure to report back here when he gets it.

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,960
Quote:
It's a mystery! Lol. The ebay seller that we bought the phone from advertises the same bands that gsmarena shows for the One XL. I really think swapping out the radio gave the XL the ability to use ATT bands for LTE.
Only if the support was already in the hardware, and just not advertised, and otherwise "hidden" by the radio software. Its possible, as I pointed out its happened on several AT&T devices during time frame of the aborted T-Mobile merger. The support for the T-Mobile HSPA bands was not in the advertised specs, but folks were able to get support by flashing a radio. So we might have a similar case here.

What radio did you flash? Did you measure LTE type data speeds, and if so what were they?

Its interesting. I also wonder if its the case where its just cheaper for them to mass produce hardware that is all identical, then disable/enable bands with software as needed. This actually happens a lot in electronics, where things like hard drives and DSLR cameras (the examples I've heard of) where the various price tiers are actually all the same hardware (cheaper for them to just manufacture them all the same), just different capacities or features are disabled with software, depending on what tier model you purchased.

Maybe more band support gets "hidden" than we know about. Of course, there isn't much way of knowing except trial and error.

Jaguarandine
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I used the radio timmaaa recommended. You can see it earlier in the thread. As for the LTE, I just saw that it had it, and was noticeably faster. I did no benchmarks.*

On another note, does the One XL have a good amount of oleophobic coating, like the other contemporary flagships? I found that it accumulated fingerprints very easily, compared to the Z10, Galaxy, etc. It could be because the phone is used. Shouldn't be a problem for my dad; I got him an Otterbox case.*

Btw, thanks timmaaa for all the help. It was very easy, following your directions. I expected at least a couple roadblocks, but everything went smoothly. Probably helped that it also had s-off and CID too

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,836

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I used the radio timmaaa recommended. You can see it earlier in the thread. As for the LTE, I just saw that it had it, and was noticeably faster. I did no benchmarks.*

On another note, does the One XL have a good amount of oleophobic coating, like the other contemporary flagships? I found that it accumulated fingerprints very easily, compared to the Z10, Galaxy, etc. It could be because the phone is used. Shouldn't be a problem for my dad; I got him an Otterbox case.*

Btw, thanks timmaaa for all the help. It was very easy, following your directions. I expected at least a couple roadblocks, but everything went smoothly. Probably helped that it also had s-off and CID too
Mine shows up fingerprints pretty easily too, I don't really worry about it all that much though. I used to keep a case on it but it looked so damn ugly with it on, and it looks so damn beautiful without a case lol. You're welcome, it's no problem, I'm always willing to help out especially when the person I'm helping has more than a couple of brain cells to rub together.

Sent from my Evita
OnePlus One | crDroid/AK.033 | TWRP 2.7.1.1

Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!

Jaguarandine
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hi everyone. Small update. I've spent most of the time with my dad trying to get him used to the phone. It's taken hours of phone calls, but I think he's getting it. Anyway, after trying many APN settings, we settled on fast.t-mobile.com. In his house, he's only capable of getting EDGE. However, when he's driving around town, he can get anywhere from 3G to LTE. So LTE is confirmed I guess. I'll have him do some benchmarks on the speeds later. I have to teach him how to use the Google Play store first.