Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,156 Members 40,119 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] WiFi + LTE Hotspot??

Tip us?

HaLFBaK3D
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] WiFi + LTE Hotspot??

I know I'm jumping the gun here. Because neither the download booster or the hotspot mod have been made for the galaxy S5 yet.
But I was wondering if this possibility is far fetched?? I do a lot of traveling and sometimes hotel wifi will not cut it.

KaptainRandom
Old
Thanks Meter 101
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=51994698

This wifi tether router works with rooted sprint gs5.

Sent from my Rooted Sprint GS5 SM-G900P

AcE2DuCe
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainRandom View Post
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=51994698

This wifi tether router works with rooted sprint gs5.

Sent from my Rooted Sprint GS5 SM-G900P

Flashed this in recovery menu on my sprint S5 and it activated the native hotspot ;-]

Scroll down all the way to the bottom on the 1st page and download the file.

Original thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2725397

INSTRUCTIONS
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52100317

HaLFBaK3D
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Now that we have a working native hotspot thanks to miked63017. My original question was, is there a possibility to combined WiFi and LTE using the download booster to create an super fast hotspot connection?
The Following User Says Thank You to HaLFBaK3D For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

K-Mack
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaLFBaK3D View Post
Now that we have a working native hotspot thanks to miked63017. My original question was, is there a possibility to combined WiFi and LTE using the download booster to create an super fast hotspot connection?

Would love to see this happen as well!

Sent from my SM-G900P using xda app-developers app

miked63017
Old
Thanks Meter 167

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaLFBaK3D View Post
I am far from an expert but I don't think the wifi could operate in AP mode and stil connect to another AP for extra d/l speed.

HaLFBaK3D
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked63017 View Post
I am far from an expert but I don't think the wifi could operate in AP mode and stil connect to another AP for extra d/l speed.

The reason I thought this would be possible was because of the MiMo(multi-input multi-output) capabilities of the S5. I know there are things that would pose an issue like not being able to be connected to WiFi while creating a hotspot.
But that's what the muti input side is for, taking in WiFi and LTE. It almost makes since to be able to send that combination speed out as hotspot.

crawrj
Old
Thanks Meter 3834
Quote:

It would be more like one ap with two aggregated backbone connections. Possible, yes. Doable on the phone, don't know but if the S5 still turns off wifi when you turn on hotshot that would be the trick.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

miked63017
Old
Thanks Meter 167

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawrj View Post
It would be more like one ap with two aggregated backbone connections. Possible, yes. Doable on the phone, don't know but if the S5 still turns off wifi when you turn on hotshot that would be the trick.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
So MiMo would theoretically allow the wifi chip to setup an AP and also be connected to seperate AP, and 3g/4g, to aggregate data? That would be awesome. I have tried bridging two wifi networks with one wifi card on desktops but have never been able to get more than one connection per wifi chip. Where AP mode would be its own connection.

:fingers crossed: maybe we can...

crawrj
Old
(Last edited by crawrj; 24th April 2014 at 10:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3834
Quote:
So MiMo would theoretically allow the wifi chip to setup an AP and also be connected to seperate AP, and 3g/4g, to aggregate data? That would be awesome. I have tried bridging two wifi networks with one wifi card on desktops but have never been able to get more than one connection per wifi chip. Where AP mode would be its own connection.

:fingers crossed: maybe we can...

In theory I believe it should work. I could swear, I am 99% sure of this, that way back in the day you could wifi tether to your phone while it was connected to wifi. Might have been the S1 or S2. I am positive that worked because I remember testing the hotspot once and getting some crazy download speeds. This was when I only had 3G and could barely get 300k. And I was freaking out trying to figure out how it was going so fast. Then I realized the phone was connected to wifi So MiMo isn't needed for one singular stream. It's basically just doing incoming and outgoing traffic on the same feed. But adding in the LTE should work on MiMo. If LTE had it's own card, does it?, you shouldn't need MiMo either. You would just have to first get the aggregation working which I think somebody got it enabled right? And then disable the wifi from shutting off during hotspot. After that it would work without anything special.