Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,064 Members 41,360 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Custom Kernel Instalation

Tip us?

JDH313
Old
(Last edited by JDH313; 24th April 2014 at 07:31 PM.) Reason: Info Change
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Custom Kernel Instalation

So I'm reading up as much as I can about flashing a custom kernel for my m7att and have some questions:
1. I am looking mostly at Elementalx, but I run SlimKat, what version should I use.
2. What is Aroma installer, is that instead of Clockworkmod?
3. Can I brick a device by doing it wrong, or will I always be able to get back to the recovery?

I know these are basics, but any help is greatly appreciated. I am looking at this mostly for battery savings and to cool down the device.
Thanks again!
Edit: meant Aroma, and I see that I would just use Clockworkmod. Is it running more stable now on the ONE, I've seen some bad reviews...

jmb6420
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Aroma is the script Language used to automate the install. Helps keep us beginners from completely messing up. I use twrp so I can't speak about CW

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Kernel: ElementalX 14.10

JDH313
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb6420 View Post
Aroma is the script Language used to automate the install. Helps keep us beginners from completely messing up. I use twrp so I can't speak about CW

I switched over to TWRP so I know it'll work
Will Viper 1 work with the Elementalx kernel?

Thanks!

jmb6420
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Don't know. I'm on Insert Coin. Maybe someone familiar with Viper 1 will come in.

Kernel: ElementalX 14.10

alray
Old
(Last edited by alray; 25th April 2014 at 02:45 AM.)
Thanks Meter 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH313 View Post
So I'm reading up as much as I can about flashing a custom kernel for my m7att and have some questions:
1. I am looking mostly at Elementalx, but I run SlimKat, what version should I use.
2. What is Aroma installer, is that instead of Clockworkmod?
3. Can I brick a device by doing it wrong, or will I always be able to get back to the recovery?

I know these are basics, but any help is greatly appreciated. I am looking at this mostly for battery savings and to cool down the device.
Thanks again!
Edit: meant Aroma, and I see that I would just use Clockworkmod. Is it running more stable now on the ONE, I've seen some bad reviews...
1. We will not recommend you a particular kernel, you'll have to try which one works best for you
2. Like said before aroma installer s a script that allow you to install things (i.e kernel) via a graphical user interface. When you choose ''install'' in twrp and select the kernel, it will lauch the Aroma installer and from there you can install the kernel and choose some customization. It looks like this (this one is the aroma for the bootloader reset tool):

3. Yes you can softbrick a device if you flash an incompatible kernel for your rom. In most cases this will result in a bootloop and you should be able to restaure your device either by flashing a proper kernel or restoring using a ruu or other solutions.

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH313 View Post
I switched over to TWRP so I know it'll work
Will Viper 1 work with the Elementalx kernel?

Thanks!
ElementalX is for GPE based rom or Sense Based rom ONLY. So if your rom is GPE or Sense based, it should work without any problem. ViperOne is based on Sense so afaik it should work.
If I've helped you, please hit the ''tanks'' button
If you want a reply, quote or mention me using @alray

Useful links for the HTC One:
nkk71's SuperGUIDE to returning 100% back to stock
Flashing requirements chart by nkk71
HTC1Guru.com by crushalot
The Following User Says Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]