Getting too hot

OP chinedu40

21st April 2014, 08:43 PM   |  #11  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

56 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneXDA

Water resistant coating will always trap more heat inside, maybe that's why Sony uses the slightly lower clocked SD801.

I think that would be a reasonable assumption.

I guess the only question is whether it's a deal breaker or not.

Does increased temperature effect battery life at all?
21st April 2014, 08:51 PM   |  #12  
Pasadena
Thanks Meter: 176

168 posts
I noticed this happening recently but on rare occassions. It gets hot right where the camera is located but I'm not sure if it is related to the camera or some other app. I know that it overheats when recording 4K videos over 3 minutes. The quick fix when it heats up is to restart the device so to me it is definitelty software realted.
21st April 2014, 09:02 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 100

713 posts
Mine gets warm, but not got enough to be a problem so far. I'm in the UK.

Sent from my D6503 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to riso123 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2014, 12:09 AM   |  #14  
OP Member

56 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riso123

Mine gets warm, but not got enough to be a problem so far. I'm in the UK.

Sent from my D6503 using xda app-developers app

Coming from the Galaxy Note 2, when my phone got warm it indicated that there was a problem. Maybe since this is part of the design, with the waterproofing at all, I'll just have to learn to accept that the phone will get a little warm.

On the plus side, it'll be good for the winter, to warm up the hands :P
22nd April 2014, 10:54 AM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 1,115

1,472 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinedu40

Does increased temperature effect battery life at all?

Most definitely.
The Following User Says Thank You to BoneXDA For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2014, 03:54 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 6

37 posts
Angry
Well i can asure you that all snapdragon 800 soc overheat and it depends on what you do,my curent device lg G2 when i bought it,it had jellybean on it whne browsing web listening to music etc it always got hot,but when plating games it was a very big overheating ,the procesor got up to 72`C ad baterry was on 42`C and i thought it was a problem with the phone but after updating to kitkat all problems with overheating where gon even in graphinc intense games it took the phone 30 minutes to heat up significantly + on a side note the battery got a lot better i managed 4 hours and 36 minutes of screen time.

Botom line its a software problem coupled with the nano coting(it blocks heat but not in a bad way that the phone will overheat from that maybe a 5`C block).
The Following User Says Thank You to Strif3 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2014, 05:10 AM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 75

735 posts
Overheating is the reason I didn't get the G2.

It overheated doing basic stuff.

It can't be fixed by software. LG certainly didn't release a fix, so don't expect one for the Z2.

When a phone has overheating problems then it will always have it, just like a laptop or any other hardware.

You'll have to deal with it.
23rd April 2014, 09:44 AM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 2,348

3,711 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamic

Overheating is the reason I didn't get the G2.

It overheated doing basic stuff.

It can't be fixed by software. LG certainly didn't release a fix, so don't expect one for the Z2.

When a phone has overheating problems then it will always have it, just like a laptop or any other hardware.

You'll have to deal with it.

Well not really my m7 used to get warm / hot with 3g or gaming up to 42c after sense 6 it refuses to go above 35c and when gaming up to 39c , so far only known phone that doesn't get hot is the m8. Imo it's tolerable for z2 to stay warmer then other devices , glass isn't the best option for cool phone + sealed phone due water resistance.

Btw yes warm / hot phones have shorter battery life due heat issues , warmer battery = faster discharge rate.

Imo if z2 gets hot only when gaming it's fine, all phones get warm but if it's crossing 37/38c up to 40+ on WiFi and normal usage I'd call that a problem. You can forget the gaming if this is the case lol , at least stable gaming without fps loss and throttle.
24th April 2014, 03:56 PM   |  #19  
OP Member

56 posts
The overheating when using the camera is a bit of a concern, especially since that was one of the main reasons i bought the phone.

Is it definitely software related or hardware?

As if its software i can wait for a fix, but if its hardware then i'll need to swap phones
25th April 2014, 03:40 AM   |  #20  
Thanks Meter: 75

735 posts
After reading other device forums seems like all the Snapdragon 800/801 devices have the overheating issue: SGS5, Z2, G2, etc.

I think it's because the new SoC is so powerful that it generates a lot of heart, especially when gaming.

Maybe the 805 will fix this. Not gonna buy a device with 800/801 because almost all of them have overheating issues.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread