Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,049 Members 39,595 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Do new S4 devices from T-Mobile come with firmware updated

Tip us?
 
vortexmak
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 62
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default [Q] Do new S4 devices from T-Mobile come with firmware updated

Hi,

I want to buy a T-Mobile S4 from store or from t-mobile.com but I don't want KNOX.
Are the devices coming with upgraded firmware or still 4.2 ?

Thanks
 
pfftdives
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 24
Join Date: Mar 2013
The tmo s4 I bought three weeks ago came didnt have kitkat.. I immediately got the upgrade option for the tmo kitkat load when I checked.

You're stuck with knox regardless of what aosp/tw version they are shipping with..

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
 
vortexmak
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 62
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfftdives View Post
The tmo s4 I bought three weeks ago came didnt have kitkat.. I immediately got the upgrade option for the tmo kitkat load when I checked.

You're stuck with knox regardless of what aosp/tw version they are shipping with..

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
AFAIK, 4.2 does not have KNOX. KNOX was introduced with 4.3. If the phone comes with 4.2 out of the box and I don't upgrade to stock, I'll remain KNOX free.

Did you order it online or from store ?
 
Xerran
Old
(Last edited by Xerran; 21st April 2014 at 04:52 PM.)
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 39
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Harrison

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexmak View Post
Hi,

I want to buy a T-Mobile S4 from store or from t-mobile.com but I don't want KNOX.
Are the devices coming with upgraded firmware or still 4.2 ?

Thanks
I purchased mine last week and it came with M919UVUEMK2 (Knox). All I did was use the Cyanogenmod installer, wipe and install the CarbonRom 4/10 nightly.
 
vortexmak
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 62
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerran View Post
I purchased mine last week and it came with M919UVUEMK2 (Knox). All I did was use the Cyanogenmod installer, wipe and install the CarbonRom 4/10 nightly.
But then isn't the warranty already void since you triggered the KNOX counter ?
 
Xerran
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 39
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Harrison

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexmak View Post
But then isn't the warranty already void since you triggered the KNOX counter ?
Yes, but I do not care.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Xerran For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
vortexmak
Old
#7  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 62
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerran View Post
Yes, but I do not care.
Did you order it online or in store ?
 
Xerran
Old
(Last edited by Xerran; 22nd April 2014 at 01:30 AM.)
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 39
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Harrison

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexmak View Post
Did you order it online or in store ?
I purchased it at my local T-Mobile store. The S4 is a popular phone so the chances of getting pre Knox firmware is extremely low. I also purchased a Urban Armor Gear case and Tech Armor Ballistic Glass as I typically keep a phone 2 - 3 years.
 
lalec
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 79
Posts: 339
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexmak View Post
Hi,

I want to buy a T-Mobile S4 from store or from t-mobile.com but I don't want KNOX.
Are the devices coming with upgraded firmware or still 4.2 ?

Thanks
You could always call the stores and ask if they have any with 4.2.2 and call the franchise stores too if you don't find any at a corporate store.
 
vortexmak
Old
#10  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 62
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalec View Post
You could always call the stores and ask if they have any with 4.2.2 and call the franchise stores too if you don't find any at a corporate store.
I did and all they had was 4.3. I finally gave up and ordered one from the site.
Got 4.3
Sign... well...I guess I'll just root it and hope I don't need the warranty

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Rotation Lets You Take Full Control of Your Device’s Orientation Settings

To be brutally honest, the native options for screen … more

Change the Alarm Icon in the Status Bar with Xposed

It’s hard to find a more hated object than your alarm clock. They wake us up nearly … more

Return to Outer Space Outer Space with Ship Up Game

Since the release of Flappy Birds, we’ve had the “fortune” to see … more

Device Review: OnePlus One

Seemingly every day, there are a bunch of new devices being released. Some are budget devices and some are … more