Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,436 Members 45,340 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Power off the screen widget WITHOUT root.

Tip us?

crazeco
Old
(Last edited by crazeco; 23rd April 2014 at 03:32 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Default Power off the screen widget WITHOUT root.

So my big gripe with the M8 was always having to hit the power button to turn the screen off - and I hate the power button location. It's hard to hit.

I was told to root the device, install gravity box so I can double tap the status bar and turn the screen off.

Thanks to a recommendation by jadaress1, this app fixes the problem entirely:

Screen Off and Lock: Screen Off and Lock

I put an icon right next to where my thumb rests on the main screen. A quick tap turns it right off without any reaching needed at all. What a lifesaver.

tnez
Old
Thanks Meter 83
So what's the name of the app?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Current Phone: T-Mobile HTC One M8
ROM: Stock HTCdev unlocked/rooted - no S-Off for me
Kernal: Stock

Old Phones: Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy Note II, HTC Droid DNA, HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible 2

Tdeljr
Old
Thanks Meter 121
It's called screen off and lock. It's in the play store, I've been using it on all my phone's and it works perfectly.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Tdeljr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Android-hotness
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Thank you. That app is awesome. With go Launcher I set double tab to call that app. So now double will turn on or off the screen.

Sent from my SGH-T889 hot! PhoTab

doroyce05
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I use lock screen by wongqi . It it's much easier to install if you don't want to use it. It is also very straight forward. Tap the app then the phone goes to lock screen mode.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

jadaress1
Old
Thanks Meter 52
With the screen on and off lock all you need to do is swipe up fron the onscreen home button and itll give u the option of launching Google or switching screen off, love it on my m8, i double tap screen to switch on and swipe up to switch off, havent used the power button in ages

Tdeljr
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaress1 View Post
With the screen on and off lock all you need to do is swipe up fron the onscreen home button and itll give u the option of launching Google or switching screen off, love it on my m8, i double tap screen to switch on and swipe up to switch off, havent used the power button in ages

That's what I've been doing.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

PopArtist
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I've been using Knock Lock - you can set an empty area of any width and/or height on your home screen (even if you are widgeted out there you can select space between widgets too) to respond to a double tap to lock the phone and turn off screen. Working well for me and I like it works the same as waking the phone up.
The Following User Says Thank You to PopArtist For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

saldebot
Old
Thanks Meter 716
I use Nova Prime along with screen off and I can double tap and turn screen off

The Following User Says Thank You to saldebot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]