Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,347 Members 51,945 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] OTA after root and s-off

Tip us?

itkowitz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] OTA after root and s-off

My M8 keeps wanting to update OTA. I rooted with weaksauce and got s-off with firewater. Is it safe to do the OTA update? If so will I still have root / s-off after the update? Sorry, I'm new to Android rooting.

Dwight Caffery
Old
(Last edited by Dwight Caffery; 24th April 2014 at 02:51 AM.)
Thanks Meter 6
I'm a beginner too, don't do what I say

From what I know, it should work if you flash the stock recovery through ADB from this thread:
AIO VZW M8 Developer Resource Thread

And then installing the OTA.
From what I (think) i (might possibly) know: An OTA installs "stuff" through the stock recovery, therefore if you have a custom one it wont work.

As I said, I'm a beginner too. If you do what I said above, there is a decent chance it wont work. That's because I'm guessing.

So if you are bored and have 500 spare M8s laying around, go for it.. Otherwise wait for a more experienced guy to find this thread.

(this post is my way of saying that I'm curious too.)

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

The Stig 04
Old
Thanks Meter 13
This is a question that has been answered time after time. You will NOT lose S-OFF. You need the stock recovery in order to take it and will need a custom recovery to flash super zip or install weaksauce and superuser.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to The Stig 04 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

itkowitz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig 04 View Post
This is a question that has been answered time after time. You will NOT lose S-OFF. You need the stock recovery in order to take it and will need a custom recovery to flash super zip or install weaksauce and superuser.

Sorry, all the posts I found had people who flashed a custom recovery. I didn't flash a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP. So if I do the OTA, I need a custom recovery afterwards in order to install weaksauce and superuser? When I first rooted, I just installed weaksauce (not from recovery) and it worked fine.

The Stig 04
Old
Thanks Meter 13
You can just install weaksauce and superuser

itkowitz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig 04 View Post
You can just install weaksauce and superuser

Thanks, I appreciate you help.

Dwight Caffery
Old
Thanks Meter 6
The root you get from weaksauce and superuser is just a partial, temporary root. For a full root, you need to flash a custom recovery through fastboot, and then flash a supersu zip through your custom recovery.
Check out this thread: How to Achieve Permanent Root and S-Off

The Following User Says Thank You to Dwight Caffery For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
ota, root, s-off