Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] OTA after root and s-off

OP itkowitz

23rd April 2014, 09:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
My M8 keeps wanting to update OTA. I rooted with weaksauce and got s-off with firewater. Is it safe to do the OTA update? If so will I still have root / s-off after the update? Sorry, I'm new to Android rooting.
24th April 2014, 03:43 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 6

41 posts
More
I'm a beginner too, don't do what I say

From what I know, it should work if you flash the stock recovery through ADB from this thread:
AIO VZW M8 Developer Resource Thread

And then installing the OTA.
From what I (think) i (might possibly) know: An OTA installs "stuff" through the stock recovery, therefore if you have a custom one it wont work.

As I said, I'm a beginner too. If you do what I said above, there is a decent chance it wont work. That's because I'm guessing.

So if you are bored and have 500 spare M8s laying around, go for it.. Otherwise wait for a more experienced guy to find this thread.

(this post is my way of saying that I'm curious too.)

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Last edited by Dwight Caffery; 24th April 2014 at 03:51 AM.
24th April 2014, 04:24 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 35

163 posts
More
This is a question that has been answered time after time. You will NOT lose S-OFF. You need the stock recovery in order to take it and will need a custom recovery to flash super zip or install weaksauce and superuser.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to The Stig 04 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th April 2014, 03:08 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig 04

This is a question that has been answered time after time. You will NOT lose S-OFF. You need the stock recovery in order to take it and will need a custom recovery to flash super zip or install weaksauce and superuser.

Sorry, all the posts I found had people who flashed a custom recovery. I didn't flash a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP. So if I do the OTA, I need a custom recovery afterwards in order to install weaksauce and superuser? When I first rooted, I just installed weaksauce (not from recovery) and it worked fine.
24th April 2014, 03:11 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 35

163 posts
More
You can just install weaksauce and superuser

24th April 2014, 06:26 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig 04

You can just install weaksauce and superuser

Thanks, I appreciate you help.
25th April 2014, 06:06 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 6

41 posts
More
The root you get from weaksauce and superuser is just a partial, temporary root. For a full root, you need to flash a custom recovery through fastboot, and then flash a supersu zip through your custom recovery.
Check out this thread: How to Achieve Permanent Root and S-Off

The Following User Says Thank You to Dwight Caffery For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ota, root, s-off
Previous Thread Next Thread