Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,670 Members 44,567 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] The three flavors of HTC One (VZW,HTC,GPE), and ROM origins

Tip us?

dangerweenie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] The three flavors of HTC One (VZW,HTC,GPE), and ROM origins

Hi,

This is my first post on the forums, and I was redirected to post in general after trying to reply in the developer's section.

There are a ton of ROMs available for the HTC M8 already, and unlocking / S-offing so straightforward, so much so that I'm a little confused as to the different varities and limitations of ROMs.

AFAIK, there are three types of retail phones one can purchase... a contract phone (VZW, for example), a DE (Developer Edition) phone, or a GPE (Google Play Edition) phone.

When I unlocked my VZW phone, it was because I wanted to get my hands on a developer edition ROM, so that I could a) get rid of the Verizon bloatware, b) receive OTA updates at HTC's discretion and timing, c) keep all the HTC components intact.

After installing the stock HTC ROM, my data connection would no longer work - I suspect because the ROM was from a GSM package.

There appears to be a ROM available with all the VZW crap removed, but that doesn't seem to be a true Developer Edition ROM ... just a pruned VZW one.

Does anyone know if there is a ROM out there that is:

1 - based off the actual stock HTC Developer Edition phone? It would be ideal if HTC's OTA updated were included.
2 - functional on Verizon's network (CDMA)?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

BD619
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7,746

DONATE TO ME
Greetings,
Please post questions in Q&A.
Thread moved.

Thank You,
BD619
\_(ツ)_/

Frequently Asked Questions - HTC One-M7-Sprint(m7wls) | HTC Evo 4G LTE(Jewel) | HTC One-M8-Sprint(m8_whl)
ROM Cleaner | AROMA | Remove Bloatware | Backup Apps | Install Apps/Mods
ROM Cleaner for HTC Evo 4G LTE or ROM Cleaner for HTC One
My DIY guides on how to root your HTC Evo 4G LTE | HTC One(M7)-Sprint | HTC One(M8)-Sprint

Forum Moderator
The Following User Says Thank You to BD619 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rushing
Old
Thanks Meter 2,867

DONATE TO ME
Unfortunately Verizon is different than most carriers. Verizon, wants you to use their phones for their network . I am not sure if any phones not branded verizon werk on verizon. I didn't get the developers edition because it wasn't going to work very well if at all on verizon. Just root and debloat flash a custom ROM, and you will be set. make a backup and go at it.
Code:
   o
    o
        .--.
       |o_o |
       |:_/ |
      //   \ \
     (|     | )
    /'\_   _/`\
    \___)=(___/

Computed by Linux

Read the Rules! ~~~ Search Before You Post! ~~~ Learn about XDA