dev options for graphics apps question

25th April 2014, 08:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hertfordshire (Herts)
Thanks Meter: 66

294 posts
Having been talking to various people about various art apps. The concensus seems to bee that beyond 2000 x 2000 most devices suffer from lag and performance issues with drawing programmes. My assumption is that this is due to both processor and RAM demand but have wondered if playing with some of the settings in the dev options would help with this.

I know that android is designed to ballance apps in the background on the fly, but when your main use it to use just the one app, would playing with the "limit background processes", "force gpu rendering" and other options I perhaps have not considered help with the performance of the app in question (even if its at the cost of having a slower tablet in general due to having to load up processes on the fly rather than having them stored in RAM)?
Would this also help with resource intensive games?
I already turn all the animation options off, have a plain background and limit the number of widgets on my homescreens in order to free up as much as possible for my art apps in question.

I also use Greenify to limit apps opening on their own accord and use a gaming booster than shuts down other background apps and stops them opening when said art apps are in use.

I used to OC, but have gone back to 1600mhz and 533mhz for the CPU and GPU respectively having had concerns with how hot my tablet gets in the edge of the screen under load.
25th April 2014, 11:25 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 69

347 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertsjoatmon

Having been talking to various people about various art apps. The concensus seems to bee that beyond 2000 x 2000 most devices suffer from lag and performance issues with drawing programmes. My assumption is that this is due to both processor and RAM demand but have wondered if playing with some of the settings in the dev options would help with this.

I know that android is designed to ballance apps in the background on the fly, but when your main use it to use just the one app, would playing with the "limit background processes", "force gpu rendering" and other options I perhaps have not considered help with the performance of the app in question (even if its at the cost of having a slower tablet in general due to having to load up processes on the fly rather than having them stored in RAM)?
Would this also help with resource intensive games?
I already turn all the animation options off, have a plain background and limit the number of widgets on my homescreens in order to free up as much as possible for my art apps in question.

I also use Greenify to limit apps opening on their own accord and use a gaming booster than shuts down other background apps and stops them opening when said art apps are in use.

I used to OC, but have gone back to 1600mhz and 533mhz for the CPU and GPU respectively having had concerns with how hot my tablet gets in the edge of the screen under load.

I don't use any apps for drawing and rendering. But, within the last month, I have noticed a huge improvement in performance swapping out my class 10 SD card for a professional quality 633x SD card. I would think any card capable of both 65+ MB/s read and write should help with bottle necks. Though you want to set your app to use the SD card for saving, as it will utilize caching to SD card. I have setup my device to point to SD card for most all app saves and caching. Some apps will use system cache, so unless you are able to tweak further, there is no way to unlimit stock caching. Though I do have trickster mod (Though it is very limited with stock ROM), and found bumping from 128 read ahead cache to 256 to 384, as it seems best with how I utilized my ultra fast SD card. Also you may set the Governor as well, but I have a feeling that is pretty much the same as what you are doing in Greenify. As for antivirus apps, they all have some ways of checking what is going on. If you can temporarally disable and test it may help.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread