Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 40,334 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Worked With The SDK Yet?

Tip us?
 
BigDanInTX
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 148
Join Date: May 2009
Location: League City, TX
Default Worked With The SDK Yet?

I'm in the SDK and trying to figure out the watch app as a start. Has anyone worked with the SDK yet? Made a watchface?

I'm curious why it didn't include a watch emulator.

Any good resources out there for aspiring Gear 2 developers?

Thank you much!
 
robyr
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 82
Posts: 202
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDanInTX View Post
I'm in the SDK and trying to figure out the watch app as a start. Has anyone worked with the SDK yet? Made a watchface?

I'm curious why it didn't include a watch emulator.

Any good resources out there for aspiring Gear 2 developers?

Thank you much!
I just pulled it down today, and will begin working heavily with it this weekend. I am forgoing the watchface and cosmetic stuff and focusing on creating an app to trigger and relay Google Now activities and output.

Are you familiar with Java? (I assume you are) If so, the SDK is pretty well documented in the Tizen resources. I would start with learning all the UI guidelines for Wearables, but if all you are trying to do is change watch faces, then its pretty simple to replace the UI elements.
The Following User Says Thank You to robyr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
BigDanInTX
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 148
Join Date: May 2009
Location: League City, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyr View Post
I just pulled it down today, and will begin working heavily with it this weekend. I am forgoing the watchface and cosmetic stuff and focusing on creating an app to trigger and relay Google Now activities and output.

Are you familiar with Java? (I assume you are) If so, the SDK is pretty well documented in the Tizen resources. I would start with learning all the UI guidelines for Wearables, but if all you are trying to do is change watch faces, then its pretty simple to replace the UI elements.
I have a C++/C# background with a little PHP. I've never done mobile development before or ever used Eclipse, so this is all new to me. Setting up the environment was a challenge with the Java issues I ran into.

I also have an idea for an app that I think many will find useful. I just need to start somewhere, so the watch faces seemed a good place to start. I just can't find a watch emulator to get the sample app to run correctly. Not sure what I'm missing.
 
tpearsall
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 57
Join Date: Mar 2008
Awesome app idea Google now passthrough. When the time comes let me know if you need a tester.

I'm starting with the SDK to make a standalone alarm clock, but truthfully hope someone beats me to it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to tpearsall For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
BigDanInTX
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 148
Join Date: May 2009
Location: League City, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpearsall View Post
Awesome app idea Google now passthrough. When the time comes let me know if you need a tester.

I'm starting with the SDK to make a standalone alarm clock, but truthfully hope someone beats me to it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
I'm in for testing anything in general. Google Now functionality is becoming more and more useful. Heck, maybe once Wear drops for real, it can be emulated on Gear 2?
 
robyr
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 82
Posts: 202
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDanInTX View Post
I'm in for testing anything in general. Google Now functionality is becoming more and more useful. Heck, maybe once Wear drops for real, it can be emulated on Gear 2?
My thinking is that this is going to be trivially easy since Google Now can use a BT headset (which the Gear connects as) for input/output. Just gotta refresh my Java knowledge (luckily, I work for a development firm that specifically specializes in Java/JS/node, so I have talented folks around to help me out )
 
BigDanInTX
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 148
Join Date: May 2009
Location: League City, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyr View Post
My thinking is that this is going to be trivially easy since Google Now can use a BT headset (which the Gear connects as) for input/output. Just gotta refresh my Java knowledge (luckily, I work for a development firm that specifically specializes in Java/JS/node, so I have talented folks around to help me out )
That's always a bonus!
 
logichoops
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 82
Join Date: Dec 2010
Pulled all the stuff down, there is a watch emulator which you can load apps onto, im not a programmer but have a IT background, have the next 4 months spare so was going to start to look at this..

http://developer.samsung.com/samsung-mobile-sdk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Hide Numbers on Your SMS and Call Logs with Reflection

How many times have you given your device to someone else in order to show them a … more

Implement Split View in Your LG G2 KitKat Rom with Automated Installer

Some of you may have remembered a story on the Portal a few weeks back … more

Cast Your Device Screen the Way it Was Meant to be with Second Screen

Not too long ago here on the XDA Portal, we covered how Google had made … more

Samsung Gear Live Unboxed the XDA Way – XDA Developer TV

XDA Developer TV Producer AdamOutleris known for his XDA Unboxingseries where … more