Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,428 Members 47,430 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] The state of Linux on Grouper?

Tip us?

idumych
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Cloud Search [Q] The state of Linux on Grouper?

So I've been playing around with the Linux roms in the Multrom thread, and it's fun for an evening but hardly useful. I'd really like to have a functional, up to date Linux system on my tablet because I like to use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and things just don't act like a desktop system on Android with a mouse (understandably!)

Does anyone know if there is anything out there, even if it doesn't work in Multirom, that I can install? I'm not interested in Ubuntu touch, it's not usable on this tablet and I want a traditional GNU/Linux/Freedesktop.org stack.

jfmcbrayer
Old
Thanks Meter 59
This may not be quite what you want, but have you looked at LilDebi? It installs Debian in a chroot and manages its start-up and shutdown for you. Can't speak to mouse usage, but I use GNU Emacs and ratpoison in it (via Xvnc) with or without a bluetooth keyboard, and everything seems fine. I'm running Debian unstable.
carcosa kernel for grouper/tilaipia is rather nice. You might like it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Main tablet: Asus/Google Nexus 7 32GB/HSPA+ (KK 4.4.2 nakasig/tilapia, stock, carcosa kernel)
Family/shared tablet: Archos 70b (Honeycomb)
Former tablet: Archos 70 (Froyo, deceased)
Tags
grouper, linux