Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,289 Members 46,291 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S-Off (thought it worked on all?)

Tip us?

bah77
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default S-Off (thought it worked on all?)

Can anyone help please, im going mad!

Why cant is-off? M8, rooted, international, stock rom

********** whelp, this sucks, firewater can not work on your device **********
********** no amount of reflashing, retrying, or ruuing will fix... **********
********** DO NOT COME TO IRC ASKING FOR UPDATES OR ETAS!!!!!! **********
********** if we are able to fix this issue, it will be announced **********
********** bye bye.....sorry it didn't work out. **********

exad
Old
Thanks Meter 1399

DONATE TO ME
As the message says. You did nothing wrong. Some M8s are not able to achieve s-off.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app
My Phone: Telus HTC One M8: 3.16 HBOOT S-OFF

Exad's m8 Everything Explained Thread

grentuu
Old
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by bah77 View Post
Can anyone help please, im going mad!

Why cant is-off? M8, rooted, international, stock rom

********** whelp, this sucks, firewater can not work on your device **********
********** no amount of reflashing, retrying, or ruuing will fix... **********
********** DO NOT COME TO IRC ASKING FOR UPDATES OR ETAS!!!!!! **********
********** if we are able to fix this issue, it will be announced **********
********** bye bye.....sorry it didn't work out. **********
Read the thread. Especially the final post as Beaups has closed the thread. Some devices simply aren't working.

The explanation isn't being given but believe the message.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...08464&page=114

I UPGRADED TO A 5GHZ CABLE HUB FOR THIS???

IF I DON'T HELP YOU, IT'S NOT BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A TOSS. I JUST DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER.
IF I DO, PLEASE HIT THE THANKS BUTTON.

maxrdlf95
Old
Thanks Meter 374

DONATE TO ME
there is no need to be S-OFF you only need this if you want to change CID and model to put an official firmware and get ota updates for example convert to WWE o GPE

well with soff you can remove the TAMPERED and the Red warning that its a little annoying ... that's the only advantage
Devices:

HTC One M8 - Android 4.4.2 Sense 6.0!
Asus Transformer Infinity (TF700) - Asus Stock - With my own kernel

graffixnyc
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4621

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxrdlf95 View Post
there is no need to be S-OFF you only need this if you want to change CID and model to put an official firmware and get ota updates for example convert to WWE o GPE

well with soff you can remove the TAMPERED and the Red warning that its a little annoying ... that's the only advantage
You can also flash partitions that you normally wouldn't be able to flash. With just HTC unlock I think you can flash system, boot and recovery only. With s-off you can write ANY partition on the device. Which could be dangerous and lead to bricks if you flash something to the wrong partition. Like flashing recovery or boot to the bootloader partition. Why HTC dev unlock some parts, it doesn't unlock anything that could potentially hard brick your device.. It simply won't allow you do.. With s-off you can flash whatever partition you want and there is nothing stopping you from flashing the radio to the system or the boot IMG to the bootloader..

So if you don't know what you're doing s-off can cause a hard brick.. Just unlocking the bootloader via HTCDev you will be safe from hard bricking your device..

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

One day some of the kids from the neighborhood carried my mother's groceries all the way home. You know why? It was outta respect." -Henry Hill

Devices:

Current Phones:
HTC One M8 Gray 32GB + 128GB SD
Oppo Find 7a 16GB + 64GB Card
OnePlus One

Current Tablets:
Sony Z Ultra GPe (Phone but use as a tablet)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition 32gb

All new members should watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmvCpR45LKA

Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/graffixnyc

G+: http://gplus.to/graffixnyc

maxrdlf95
Old
Thanks Meter 374

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffixnyc View Post
You can also flash partitions that you normally wouldn't be able to flash. With just HTC unlock I think you can flash system, boot and recovery only. With s-off you can write ANY partition on the device. Which could be dangerous and lead to bricks if you flash something to the wrong partition. Like flashing recovery or boot to the bootloader partition. Why HTC dev unlock some parts, it doesn't unlock anything that could potentially hard brick your device.. It simply won't allow you do.. With s-off you can flash whatever partition you want and there is nothing stopping you from flashing the radio to the system or the boot IMG to the bootloader..

So if you don't know what you're doing s-off can cause a hard brick.. Just unlocking the bootloader via HTCDev you will be safe from hard bricking your device..

Exactly and normally we dont need to touch that partitions.. I think you can flash radio also..
Devices:

HTC One M8 - Android 4.4.2 Sense 6.0!
Asus Transformer Infinity (TF700) - Asus Stock - With my own kernel

graffixnyc
Old
Thanks Meter 4621

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxrdlf95 View Post
Exactly and normally we dont need to touch that partitions.. I think you can flash radio also..
Yeah I think you can flash a radio in recovery. I always have to since I do the GPE conversion. Without s-off I wouldn't have been able to do it

One day some of the kids from the neighborhood carried my mother's groceries all the way home. You know why? It was outta respect." -Henry Hill

Devices:

Current Phones:
OnePlus One

Current Tablets:

bah77
Old
(Last edited by bah77; 25th April 2014 at 09:34 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
The reason I wanted s-off is because adaway isn't working correctly at applying the host file.

Also I thought I needed s-off to revert back to stock Rom if and when needed after installing a custom rom.

A custom rom is what I might have to do as I really wanted gravity box and xposed / gravity box won't work with sense

grentuu
Old
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
The reason I wanted s-off is because adaway isn't working correctly at applying the host file.

Also I thought I needed s-off to revert back to stock Rom if and when needed after installing a custom rom.

A custom rom is what I might have to do as I really wanted gravity box and xposed / gravity box won't work with sense
For the moment the question is academic... unfortunately it can't be done, no matter what reason you need it for

I UPGRADED TO A 5GHZ CABLE HUB FOR THIS???

IF I DON'T HELP YOU, IT'S NOT BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A TOSS. I JUST DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER.
IF I DO, PLEASE HIT THE THANKS BUTTON.

graffixnyc
Old
Thanks Meter 4621

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

You don't need s-off for the adway host file. You just need to disable the system write protection(even if you are rooted). There are custom kernels that have it built in and some roms as well. there is also a kernel module that does it for you. Yes, when you s-off it also removes the write protection from the /system but you don't NEED s-off for that..You can do it with the kernel module or kernel. You also don't need s-off to return to stock. When RUU's are relased all you have to do is run the one for your model and it will restore it.. With s-off you can flash any RUU from any carrier pretty much, without s-off it will only allow you to flash RUU's that are made that that specific carrier/region

Devices:

Current Phones:
OnePlus One

Current Tablets: