Post Reply

[Q] Which stock apps are safe to remove on Bell model?

OP Ethologist

24th April 2014, 06:52 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
More
I recently got a used LG Optimus G E973 (Bell version). It's rooted and the bootloader is unlocked. So now I'm wondering if there's a list anywhere of all the stock apps that are safe to remove for this model. There are a few threads about this in the AT&T and Sprint forums, but I can't find any here. Anyone care to help?
24th April 2014, 08:31 PM   |  #2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethologist

I recently got a used LG Optimus G E973 (Bell version). It's rooted and the bootloader is unlocked. So now I'm wondering if there's a list anywhere of all the stock apps that are safe to remove for this model. There are a few threads about this in the AT&T and Sprint forums, but I can't find any here. Anyone care to help?

Most of the launchable apps are removable and you can find better ones. The one stock app that sucked was the email app. I suggest removing it and installing Nexus 5 stock email app with the exchange app. You will be able to do everything(fully synced) with one app(hotmail exchange, work exchange, gmail sync).

The messasing app is also bad, you can simply replace it with hangouts.
24th April 2014, 09:59 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Flag YVR
Thanks Meter: 609
 
1,324 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethologist

I'm wondering if there's a list anywhere of all the stock apps that are safe to remove for this model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polacasse

Most of the launchable apps are removable and you can find better ones.

I would add that instead of removing the apps right away, it's probably better to freeze (disable) them and see if that affects anything. If everything is good after freezing, they can be removed for good. And if something is messed up, just defrost the app in question.

Titanium Backup Pro can freeze apps, but you can also use other utilities that are free, like Advanced Tools from Play Store.
25th April 2014, 04:19 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
More
Ok, thanks guys. I'm a bit new to all this rooted android stuff. Can I get rid of Google Maps? I'd like to replace it with something else because it's permanently sucking up my battery life. Also, is there a reason why the Software update is constantly running on my phone even though I have "check automatically" unchecked?
25th April 2014, 05:05 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Flag YVR
Thanks Meter: 609
 
1,324 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethologist

Can I get rid of Google Maps?

Sure, you can. If you ever need it again, you can always install it from Play Store as a user app.

Quote:

is there a reason why the Software update is constantly running on my phone even though I have "check automatically" unchecked?

I guess it's just designed to keep the service running in the background, regardless of whether it's actually doing the checks. You can just freeze the "Software Update", or uninstall it (that's what I did). Problem solved.
The Following User Says Thank You to kt-Froggy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th April 2014, 05:11 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt-Froggy

Sure, you can. If you ever need it again, you can always install it from Play Store as a user app.


I guess it's just designed to keep the service running in the background, regardless of whether it's actually doing the checks. You can just freeze the "Software Update", or uninstall it (that's what I did). Problem solved.

Awesome, thanks for the help.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Top Threads in Optimus G Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank