Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,870 Members 50,178 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Few questions about Moto G XT1033 Dual Sim?

Tip us?

Juste300
Old
(Last edited by Juste300; 23rd April 2014 at 05:27 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Lightbulb Few questions about Moto G XT1033 Dual Sim?

Hi everyone,

I am going to buy Moto G soon and interested in single sim variant XT1032 but unfortunately it is not available in my country, the one available here are only XT1033 dual sim variant. I have not much choice other then to buy dual sim

So, I just need some info from XT1033 owners before pulling the trigger:
  1. I read some where that some of the Gravity Box and Xposed Framework functions are not 100% functional or compatible with dual sim variant? Is that true?
  2. Can we install a single sim rom on the dual sim version and basically make the dual sim a single sim phone? I will be OK if the 2nd sim do not work with single sim rom since I am not interested in 2nd sim + any single sim custom rom like CM e.g will work with dual sim one?
  3. If the single sim firmware/rom works on dual sim variant? I think Gravity Box and Xposed Framework functions will be 100% compatible and functional with that? Correct me if I am wrong?
  4. Any other thing you guys want to let me know about dual sim related?

That's all the questions I have right now in my mind.

Your feedback will be much appreciated and thanks everyone in advance.

MCM4u
Old
Thanks Meter 14

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juste300 View Post
Can we install a single sim rom on the dual sim version and basically make the dual sim a single sim phone? I will be OK if the 2nd sim do not work with single sim rom since I am not interested in 2nd sim + any single sim custom rom like CM e.g will work with dual sim one?

Yes it does work with only one sim active, but there will be a lot of bugs incl. FC for certain apps and system UI. Test these ROMs for yourself.
Devices owned: Sony Live with Walkman (bl unlocked - rooted), Sony Xperia Tablet Z (stock - rooted), Moto G (bl unlocked) and Sony Xperia SP (stock - rooted)

rogeriorp
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Yes for everything you asked, I am currently running a XT1032 firmware on mine and it's perfect.

Juste300
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM4u View Post
Yes it does work with only one sim active, but there will be a lot of bugs incl. FC for certain apps and system UI. Test these ROMs for yourself.
What do you mean by FC for certain apps and system UI? And how i can test the roms my self without having the phone

MCM4u
Old
(Last edited by MCM4u; 24th April 2014 at 01:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 14

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
What do you mean by FC for certain apps and system UI? And how i can test the roms my self without having the phone
It does not happen on all ROMs. But a few like Carbon ROM, the System UI Force closes, making it almost impossible to use the phone. I have not experienced any force closes for apps, but few of the members have.

You will have to ask other dual sim users for that. Or just skim through the ROM's forum and see if any user mentions anything about dual sim.
Devices owned: Sony Live with Walkman (bl unlocked - rooted), Sony Xperia Tablet Z (stock - rooted), Moto G (bl unlocked) and Sony Xperia SP (stock - rooted)

BaghiXDA
Old
(Last edited by BaghiXDA; 24th April 2014 at 02:09 PM.)
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
I read some where that some of the Gravity Box and Xposed Framework functions are not 100% functional or compatible with dual sim variant? Is that true?
Could be, but no worries (see below why).

Quote:
Can we install a single sim rom on the dual sim version and basically make the dual sim a single sim phone? I will be OK if the 2nd sim do not work with single sim rom since I am not interested in 2nd sim + any single sim custom rom like CM e.g will work with dual sim one?
Yes, yes and yes! I was in the same boat as you, i.e. unavailability of single SIM variant (my case was slightly different though, but not related to your queries). You can turn your phone into XT1032 without any problem. In fact, its basically XT1032 with the options to install 2nd SIM if needed thanks to the possibilities we've. With these things in mind the dual-SIM variant seems more logical choice.

Quote:
If the single sim firmware/rom works on dual sim variant? I think Gravity Box and Xposed Framework functions will be 100% compatible and functional with that? Correct me if I am wrong?
I've used CM11 when I was on XT1033 ROM and it worked like a champ. Haven't tried it since I flashed single SIM ROM though, I'm currently on Google Play Edition ROM and before that I had Retail UK ROM. Might also give a shot to CM11 as well once it reaches in stable phase.

Quote:
Any other thing you guys want to let me know about dual sim related?
YES. In order to turn your XT1033 into makeshift XT1032 you'll have to unlock your bootloader meaning voiding your warranty; if it's a big deal to you then beware. Also, I'm not too sure whether you need to unlock the bootloader though, but considering the benefits it offers and too many restrictions it has you'll have to unlock it anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BaghiXDA For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Minervamc
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 6
Dual sim.Because it is more practice than you carry 2 devices at the same time.

Juste300
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaghiXDA View Post
Could be, but no worries (see below why).

Yes, yes and yes! I was in the same boat as you, i.e. unavailability of single SIM variant (my case was slightly different though, but not related to your queries). You can turn your phone into XT1032 without any problem. In fact, its basically XT1032 with the options to install 2nd SIM if needed thanks to the possibilities we've. With these things in mind the dual-SIM variant seems more logical choice.

I've used CM11 when I was on XT1033 ROM and it worked like a champ. Haven't tried it since I flashed single SIM ROM though, I'm currently on Google Play Edition ROM and before that I had Retail UK ROM. Might also give a shot to CM11 as well once it reaches in stable phase.

YES. In order to turn your XT1033 into makeshift XT1032 you'll have to unlock your bootloader meaning voiding your warranty; if it's a big deal to you then beware. Also, I'm not too sure whether you need to unlock the bootloader though, but considering the benefits it offers and too many restrictions it has you'll have to unlock it anyway.
Thanks buddy. I have one more question hope you would answer that too.

Today I was using a friend qmobile A900 which has 1GB ram. I tried different launchers on that and we got +100mb ram left around. It was working fine I didn't saw much lag but I noticed slight delays. It was on 4.2.1 OS

So my question is 1GB ram on moto g is enough? It will handle all the launchers and other tasks good enough? Have u ever felt that you need more ram?

BaghiXDA
Old
(Last edited by BaghiXDA; 25th April 2014 at 10:11 AM.)
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
So my question is 1GB ram on moto g is enough? It will handle all the launchers and other tasks good enough? Have u ever felt that you need more ram?
Absolutely not. I've tons of apps running with Google Now launcher and I still get 350MB+ MB left (even on 4.3 JB), I get the same even while using Nova Launcher.

The thing is, these phones built by reputed manufactures utilize memory very efficiently compared to those built by let's say your local manufacture.
The Following User Says Thank You to BaghiXDA For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Juste300
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default kondea chariton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaghiXDA View Post
Absolutely not. I've tons of apps running with Google Now launcher and I still get 350MB+ MB left (even on 4.3 JB), I get the same even while using Nova Launcher.

The thing is, these phones built by reputed manufactures utilize memory very efficiently compared to those built by let's say your local manufacture.
Damn I can see the difference between both phones now. Even that A900 have something 900 or 927mb memory. Nvm I am going for Moto G