Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,324 Members 42,572 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Any downside to rooting other than warranty/knox?

Tip us?

paleozord
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default [Q] Any downside to rooting other than warranty/knox?

I am considering rooting my Canadian (Rogers) Note 3 (SM-N900W8) in order to defeat the ludicrous SD-Card crippling brought by the latest Kitkat 4.4.2 software update. I'm aware that by doing so the Knox 0x1 counter will void the warranty. What I'd like to know is whether there are any additional negative results besides this well-known one.

For example I've seen inconsistent reports of the Screen Mirroring function being disabled as soon as the device is rooted. Some claim it is more related to the presence of a custom kernel, recovery or ROM, while others insist that merely rooting with everything stock was enough to disable screen mirroring.

If I do nothing more than use CF-Autoroot as described here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2466423

...no custom recovery, kernel or ROM, do I risk any undesirable repercussions other than the warranty and Knox issue? Will screen mirroring or any other functions work worse than they did before?

Thanks for any help...

hey_joe
Old
Thanks Meter 305
Rooting won't break any functionality of the phone except the security it was meant for i.e the secure container ( and of course, depending on who you ask, warranty ). Problems you mentioned are probably related to custom roms themselves.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to hey_joe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

paleozord
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_joe View Post
Rooting won't break any functionality of the phone except the security it was meant for i.e the secure container ( and of course, depending on who you ask, warranty ). Problems you mentioned are probably related to custom roms themselves.
Thanks for your reply... and will it also not interfere with any potential future over-the-air updates that might come along, be it a 4.4.3 update or a more trivial software patch to fix an issue that gets released? I realize that a major enough OTA update might un-root the phone which is fine.. I just wouldn't want to brick or lose access to updates because of root. Would they continue to be accessible, or would I likely have to first un-root manually to enable them?

Thanks again...

vndnguyen
Old
Thanks Meter 596

DONATE TO ME
Yes you can not OTA update on the rooted phone.

You can unroot and apply the OTA update.
Or use the fake system status option in the Wanam.

paleozord
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vndnguyen View Post
Yes you can not OTA update on the rooted phone.
You can unroot and apply the OTA update.
Or use the fake system status option in the Wanam.
Thanks... if memory serves (been a while for me since last rooted device) all that is necessary to unroot is to run the administrative option from within the Superuser app itself, to remove the SU binary completely.. correct? And then to re-root just repeat the previous CF-Autoroot steps and regain SU?

gee2012
Old
(Last edited by gee2012; 28th April 2014 at 07:23 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2802
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleozord View Post
Thanks for your reply... and will it also not interfere with any potential future over-the-air updates that might come along, be it a 4.4.3 update or a more trivial software patch to fix an issue that gets released? I realize that a major enough OTA update might un-root the phone which is fine.. I just wouldn't want to brick or lose access to updates because of root. Would they continue to be accessible, or would I likely have to first un-root manually to enable them?

Thanks again...
You don`t need OTA`s mate, just download the new updated rom from Sammobile and flash it with Mobile Odin Pro and you`ll even keep root
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue

paleozord
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012 View Post
You don`t need OTA`s mate, just download the new updated rom from Sammobile and flash it with Mobile Odin Pro and you`ll even keep root
So all ROM and software updates are always made available directly from Samsung as flashable downloads, on the same day they're released to devices over-the-air? As a general rule?

gee2012
Old
(Last edited by gee2012; 28th April 2014 at 10:11 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2802
Quote:
So all ROM and software updates are always made available directly from Samsung as flashable downloads, on the same day they're released to devices over-the-air? As a general rule?
Within a day usualy you can download the full rom from here www.sammobile.com/firmwares/2/ and flash it with Odin or better yet Mobile Odin.
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue

vndnguyen
Old
Thanks Meter 596

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Or you can open the app Phone INFO ★Samsung★, select menu 'Firmware Browser...' to see a list of available stock firmwares for your phone.

Tap to view firmware's details, there is also a download link. You can download it and then flash by Kies or Odin.

(screenshots are attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-28-16-01-22.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	2714770   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-28-16-02-34.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	2714771