[Q] any chance we could use kexec to boot cm?

OP Roundtableprez

24th April 2014, 06:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 77

493 posts
Well like the title says I was wondering if we might be able to use kexec to boot cm on our devices. If I'm not mistaken that's what is used for the droid 3 to boot cm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
24th April 2014, 07:52 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Houma, LA
Thanks Meter: 2,393

4,463 posts
Donate to Me
More
This has been discussed many times here and in multiple other device forums. At this point, it has not been implemented into SafeStrap. I am not sure if it is possible or not, nor do I know if hash is working on putting it in. He is aware of it though.

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
25th April 2014, 04:09 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Fort Collins, CO
Thanks Meter: 4,807

3,085 posts
Donate to Me
More
kexec uses a hijacked kernel module to direct to a different kernel placed on the SDcard. Sort of like how SS works, but a bit differently. All SS does is direct the kernel to a different image. Kexec needs a hijacked module to load an insecure kernel. While this sounds easy to implement, trust me it will most likely never happen with the note 3. The problem is that the note 3 doesn't have any modules. And don't ask about inserting them, because the kernel will not run them. They are completely disabled in this kernel. That property is set when the kernel is compiled, so with it being disabled, we cannot enable it, and we cannot hijack the modules, because they are completely disabled.
25th April 2014, 06:47 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 77

493 posts
Thanks for your informative reply. Just thought id ask

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread