Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,947 Members 40,897 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] any chance we could use kexec to boot cm?

Tip us?

Roundtableprez
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Default [Q] any chance we could use kexec to boot cm?

Well like the title says I was wondering if we might be able to use kexec to boot cm on our devices. If I'm not mistaken that's what is used for the droid 3 to boot cm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

graydiggy
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2133

DONATE TO ME
This has been discussed many times here and in multiple other device forums. At this point, it has not been implemented into SafeStrap. I am not sure if it is possible or not, nor do I know if hash is working on putting it in. He is aware of it though.

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Lost in a paper bag again...

RErick
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4469

DONATE TO ME
kexec uses a hijacked kernel module to direct to a different kernel placed on the SDcard. Sort of like how SS works, but a bit differently. All SS does is direct the kernel to a different image. Kexec needs a hijacked module to load an insecure kernel. While this sounds easy to implement, trust me it will most likely never happen with the note 3. The problem is that the note 3 doesn't have any modules. And don't ask about inserting them, because the kernel will not run them. They are completely disabled in this kernel. That property is set when the kernel is compiled, so with it being disabled, we cannot enable it, and we cannot hijack the modules, because they are completely disabled.
Sign up to copy.com here for free and receive an extra free 5GB storage. That's 20GB free!

Everyone Needs To Read This

Roundtableprez
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Thanks for your informative reply. Just thought id ask

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk