[Q] APK support on Ubuntu Touch

OP sule.sashank

20th April 2014, 06:36 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag thane
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
More
Was just wondering, can either Dalvik or ART be emulated/virtualized on Ubuntu Touch just enough to give it a base to run android apps on? from what i understand, i guess this will have to be done with either QML or HTML5.. i can code in both of them but would need help with the Dalvik or ART part... Any ideas/suggestions?
20th April 2014, 09:39 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,411

2,813 posts
More
In theory it might work but have a look at this recent Google Plus comment by a Canonical employee (@mhall119):

Quote:

we're not going to support running Android code on Ubuntu, it would be impossible to do it well, less alone perfectly. You can run standard Java code by packaging the JRE like Alan suggested, but there's usually going to be a C++ or Javascript alternative library for whatever you used in Java, and that would make for a better app.

Source: https://plus.google.com/+MichaelHall...ts/aPPVcxM29fe (highlighting by me)

Additionally, I don't think that Android apps would look good on Ubuntu Touch. The design is completely different.
If you have a look at the link above, you'll see that he is currently working on a way to convert Android xml files to qml though. That will make it easier for developers to make the switch.
25th April 2014, 08:39 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 558

1,339 posts
Donate to Me
Once Ubuntu Touch hits more of the main light I would assume Android Compatibility Layer would be ported. It works well on the HP Touchpad with webOS. And its easy to root ACL.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to blmvxer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread