FORUMS

HTC Delivering Ads Straight to Sense Home

HTC’s 2015 has been a year marked by a desperate search for revenue.The HTC One M9 … more

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

[Q] chroot Ubuntu on Nexus 7 (2013)

331 posts
Thanks Meter: 156
 
By userdelroot, Senior Member on 10th January 2014, 12:55 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Not sure if anyone is interested or not but I have a chrooted Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 13.10 on my N7 running.
If anyone is interested I can post the steps and scripts I used, so you can do it yourself, and learn as you do it which is fun lol.

Most of the information is available via google searches however some things are not mentioned.

I have almost got LXDE running in the chroot without vnc, however not fully.

The problem I am having is when I startx or xinit /usr/bin/lxsession it displays a blank screen. When I kill the process, the LXDE background displays with a cursor. Not sure why it waits to display when I kill the process kind of weird.

Anyways thoughts, comments, constructive criticism.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to userdelroot For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
10th January 2014, 02:56 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 156
 
Donate to Me
More
photo of the adb screen launching startx img1.jpg


photo of the actual N7 screen img2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	2505589   Click image for larger version

Name:	img2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	2505590  
10th January 2014, 11:24 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 156
 
Donate to Me
More
I guess there is a guide already from what I read.
No need for a guide unless someone wants to try making their own Ubuntu chroot. Then you will have the ability to make you own image size etc.
If anyone is interested or wants to do this post here and I will provide the steps.
And assist with scripts and what not.

By no means did I come up with this on my own, however many guides have scripts that don't work etc due to your version on android or device etc.



Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
11th January 2014, 12:21 PM |#4  
djxtabay's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
I'm using the guide in the General Section to use Kali PwnPad with my N7. I was using Backtrack with my 2012 and just bought a 2013 and very happy so far that everything works with Kali but with a better performance!

Wifi USB host was the main concern and it works great.

Nice job you have done too can you send me or share your chroot script please?
11th January 2014, 06:07 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 156
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxtabay

I'm using the guide in the General Section to use Kali PwnPad with my N7. I was using Backtrack with my 2012 and just bought a 2013 and very happy so far that everything works with Kali but with a better performance!

Wifi USB host was the main concern and it works great.

Nice job you have done too can you send me or share your chroot script please?


yes, do you need startup scripts or launch scripts for vnc and x
or just the chroot script to get into linux?
17th January 2014, 03:14 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 156
 
Donate to Me
More
UPDATE
I made scripts which will allow the creation of the linux image right on the device itself.
It downloads approximately 200 megs for the packages, no more need to download huge image files...
Right now ubuntu works for sure testing others...
17th January 2014, 11:59 AM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by userdelroot

I made scripts which will allow the creation of the linux image right on the device itself.
It downloads approximately 200 megs for the packages, no more need to download huge image files...
Right now ubuntu works for sure testing others...

Great job! Could you share those somewhere (I'm interested in running other distributions e.g. Fedora and Mer)
17th January 2014, 04:23 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 156
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrutkovs

Great job! Could you share those somewhere (I'm interested in running other distributions e.g. Fedora and Mer)

of course, but need to finish scripts and work out some bugs.
25th April 2014, 10:25 PM |#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by userdelroot

of course, but need to finish scripts and work out some bugs.

Hey, any news on this?
26th April 2014, 01:41 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 156
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrutkovs

Hey, any news on this?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2627255
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes