NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

FXP Team Delivers Lollipop to Various Xperia Devices!

From all of us here at XDA-Developers, we’d like to wish you Happy Holidays! If … more

Turn Your Camera Into a Live Puzzle Game

The classic sliding puzzle game hasnt changed much, if at all, over the years. Dating all the way … more

Samsung Begins Production of 8 Gb RAM Chips

With the release of Android 5.0, our favorite mobile operating system has become 64-bit ready. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Install .WGT files as alternative to Samsung Apps

OP CarbonWyre

23rd April 2014, 03:22 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 39

138 posts
More
Would it be possible for us to install non phone dependent apps (not sure what there is but I'm sure there are some that don't need constant phone connection in order to function) through their WGT files? This would give non Sammy users at lease some usability outside of stock apps. I'm sure it would be quite a task but isn't the first time always one?
23rd April 2014, 04:18 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 19

97 posts
You can sideload them using sdb from the SDK.
23rd April 2014, 04:44 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Phoenix

138 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdb

You can sideload them using sdb from the SDK.

Why aren't we looking into this? Can you link to a site that has downloads for them?
23rd April 2014, 04:51 PM   |  #4  

97 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonWyre

Why aren't we looking into this? Can you link to a site that has downloads for them?

I dont have a link to a site to download wgt files. Just away to sideload them if you create them in the SDK. There is a modified clock here on the board, I just dont remember the thread.
23rd April 2014, 04:56 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Phoenix

138 posts
More
Quote:

I dont have a link to a site to download wgt files. Just away to sideload them if you create them in the SDK. There is a modified clock here on the board, I just dont remember the thread.

I found the thread, it's in a different section (Themes I think). So is there no way to do this with proper Samsung store apps?
23rd April 2014, 05:40 PM   |  #6  

97 posts
Nope.
24th April 2014, 11:24 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Phoenix

138 posts
More
Quote:

Nope.

Why? Nothing impossible
26th April 2014, 05:25 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 16

119 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonWyre

Why? Nothing impossible

It is important to understand that the Samsung Gear 2, unlike the original Galaxy Gear, does NOT run on Android. While it might look very similar, it runs on a completely different operating system called Tizen.

Tizen is very new, and does not have many notable apps developed for it. You can't simply install Samsung Apps, as those are Android-specific apps, and will not run on Tizen.

So, yes, while nothing is impossible, everyone is going to have to wait until someone flashes Android to the device (very unlikely until quite a while from now), or until Tizen apps begin to be regularly developed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread