Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,940 Members 46,912 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Keyboard

Tip us?

composi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Default Keyboard

I know there are probably a million threads about preferences of replacement keyboards but the stock keyboards on my s3, note 2, s4, and note 3 worked well so I never replaced them... however this S5 keyboard is painfully slow even with swype...

Anybody replaced their keyboard and if so, which was your preference?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app
The Fab Five

Samsung Galaxy S5 [AT&T] | Moto X [AT&T] | iPad Mini with Retina [AT&T] | iPad Air [AT&T] | Samsung Galaxy S4 [AT&T]

RIP: HTC Mytouch 3G | LG Optimus T | LG Ally | Samsung Transform | HTC Evo 3D | Motorola Droid Razr | HTC One X | Samsung Galaxy Note II | Samsung Galaxy SIII | Samsung Galaxy Nexus | Google Nexus 7 [WiFi] | iPad Air [WiFi] | HTC One | Samsung Galaxy Note 3

ACCUSED24
Old
Thanks Meter 62
I replace every keyboard with SwiftKey. Flesky is also a great keyboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Games:
Extreme Ping - Pong Game
Just Another Bad Game - Flappy Birds type game
Just Another Ship Game - Asteroids type game

Project in the works:
Just Another Ship Game
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACCUSED24 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cadorette
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I personally use SwiftKey. Been using that since the S2. It's aurocorrect is amazing and it's predictions work well. I paid for it (3 or 4 bucks I think) but the free version works fine. You can type really quick and it also includes a Swype option (they call it "flow") you can also let it scan your emails, Facebook posts, texts, etc and it'll learn how you actually type, memorize what slang you use, etc.
Lots of customization options down to the look, feel, what certain actions do (double tap space bar for period, auto caps, etc).
The straight up Google keyboard works very well too. There's also Fleksy which is still a tad new and a lot of people like it, just didn't work out that we'll for me.
Hope that gets you started!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cadorette For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tianwonna
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Well, for me..I love Google keyboard. A lot of people i mean most people use Google keyboard. Its really awesome, easy and clean. If you dont like it, You have to play with it a while until you will get use to it. You can get it at google play store and search Google keyboard.

Cheers!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tianwonna For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

composi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and comments! I'll try some of those out!
The Fab Five

Samsung Galaxy S5 [AT&T] | Moto X [AT&T] | iPad Mini with Retina [AT&T] | iPad Air [AT&T] | Samsung Galaxy S4 [AT&T]

RIP: HTC Mytouch 3G | LG Optimus T | LG Ally | Samsung Transform | HTC Evo 3D | Motorola Droid Razr | HTC One X | Samsung Galaxy Note II | Samsung Galaxy SIII | Samsung Galaxy Nexus | Google Nexus 7 [WiFi] | iPad Air [WiFi] | HTC One | Samsung Galaxy Note 3
The Following User Says Thank You to composi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

karmuh
Old
Thanks Meter 76
I've actually just been using the stock Samsung keyboard this whole time. I liked the overall feel of it, plus the predictions were accurate. After reading this thread, I gave SwiftKey a try...wow, what a night/day difference. I never realized how slow Samsung's keyboard was until I tried SwiftKey, lol. I've been playing around with it for most of the day and needless to say...I'll definitely be keeping Swiftkey as the default
Retired Devices:
[Black] 16GB iPhone 5S (Damaged)
[Black] 16GB iPhone 5

Current Devices:
15" MacBook Pro Retina (Mid-2012) -- OS X 10.9.3
[White] 16GB AT&T Galaxy S5 -- KitKat 4.4.2 --
Rooted via Towelroot
The Following User Says Thank You to karmuh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

composi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmuh View Post
I've actually just been using the stock Samsung keyboard this whole time. I liked the overall feel of it, plus the predictions were accurate. After reading this thread, I gave SwiftKey a try...wow, what a night/day difference. I never realized how slow Samsung's keyboard was until I tried SwiftKey, lol. I've been playing around with it for most of the day and needless to say...I'll definitely be keeping Swiftkey as the default
Yeah the reasons I asked this questions is 1) I know for a fact my Note 3 keyboard was faster and more responsive, and 2) I have a Moto X and I know how fast a keyboard can be. Glad this was able to help someone other than myself though!
The Fab Five

The Following User Says Thank You to composi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

harlenm
Old
Thanks Meter 131
SwiftKey is great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Br4nd3n
Old
Thanks Meter 59
SwiftKey is the best hands down. Very fluent, responsive, and smart. However it doesn't support emojis or Evernote in the official release.

Download the most up to date beta from their website, the download is located here: [URL]http://www.swiftkey.net/en/blog/new-swiftkey-beta-update-march2014/[URL]

That'll show you what the official one is going to be at soon. I use emojis in various things other than texting so I'm using the beta now but I have bought the official release because of how good it is. I wouldn't use any else. The "thumb" layout is awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Br4nd3n For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

karmuh
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br4nd3n View Post
SwiftKey is the best hands down. Very fluent, responsive, and smart. However it doesn't support emojis or Evernote in the official release.

Download the most up to date beta from their website, the download is located here: [URL]http://www.swiftkey.net/en/blog/new-swiftkey-beta-update-march2014/[URL]

That'll show you what the official one is going to be at soon. I use emojis in various things other than texting so I'm using the beta now but I have bought the official release because of how good it is. I wouldn't use any else. The "thumb" layout is awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Wow, thanks for the heads up. I did notice the strange omission of the emoji's. Also glad to see they added a number bar to the top. While it takes up a little bit more screen real-estate, it definitely comes in handy for me. I got around it with the public release by decreasing the long-press time.
Retired Devices:
[Black] 16GB iPhone 5S (Damaged)
[Black] 16GB iPhone 5

Current Devices:
15" MacBook Pro Retina (Mid-2012) -- OS X 10.9.3
[White] 16GB AT&T Galaxy S5 -- KitKat 4.4.2 --
Rooted via Towelroot