Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Experimental Kernel on Mahdi Rom

OP stathis_21

26th April 2014, 12:42 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Thessaloniki
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
More
Does anyone know what the Experimental kernel does?There are no informations about it in the OP of the Rom...I downloaded it but it appears to be for the Nexus 5...What is the difference between this kernel and the rom-kernel???
26th April 2014, 05:03 AM   |  #2  
Flag Fayetteville
Thanks Meter: 244

499 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stathis_21

Does anyone know what the Experimental kernel does?There are no informations about it in the OP of the Rom...I downloaded it but it appears to be for the Nexus 5...What is the difference between this kernel and the rom-kernel???

Who made the kernel?
26th April 2014, 05:35 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 9

30 posts
After updating to the latest Mahdi rom and backing up what I had, I flashed the experimental kernel and wiped cache/dalvik.
It wouldn't boot, so I had to restore what I had.
No idea what it was supposed to do.
26th April 2014, 05:42 AM   |  #4  
Flag Fayetteville

499 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruibing

After updating to the latest Mahdi rom and backing up what I had, I flashed the experimental kernel and wiped cache/dalvik.
It wouldn't boot, so I had to restore what I had.
No idea what it was supposed to do.

Yeah, if it said it was for the nexus, it wasn't going to work. Kernels should be device specific, and I am very skeptical of those that have been supposedly ported over, rather than compiled from the device's kernel source and then updated with new options.

Experimental in regards to kernel devevelopment means there are probably issues beyond the norm.
26th April 2014, 05:54 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 9

30 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekmason

Yeah, if it said it was for the nexus, it wasn't going to work. Kernels should be device specific, and I am very skeptical of those that have been supposedly ported over, rather than compiled from the device's kernel source and then updated with new options.

Experimental in regards to kernel devevelopment means there are probably issues beyond the norm.

The filename is Mahdi-Hammerhead-exp-4.4.2-v1.7-23-03-2014.zip, but I thought that just meant it was somehow derived from the Nexus 5. Don't know why it would be posted in the Mahdi rom OP if it didn't have a chance of working.
26th April 2014, 06:43 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Thessaloniki
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
More
To make myself clear.I said that nexus 5 thing, because the file of the kernel says hammerhead..But everything is fine..I use the rom as it is....I want to thank the dev for this amazing rom..A big thank you to all the devs..All of them have put a lot of work to their projects..I just made a question about this kernel.nothing else..Thanks for the reply..
26th April 2014, 07:12 AM   |  #7  
Flag Fayetteville

499 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stathis_21

To make myself clear.I said that nexus 5 thing, because the file of the kernel says hammerhead..But everything is fine..I use the rom as it is....I want to thank the dev for this amazing rom..A big thank you to all the devs..All of them have put a lot of work to their projects..I just made a question about this kernel.nothing else..Thanks for the reply..

Mahdi has a good reputation for being dependable. Glad you found something you like!

The Following User Says Thank You to sleekmason For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread