Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,867 Members 41,410 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Write Protection Off Issue - Bootloader Unlocked

Tip us?

ss12108
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
I've used Titanium on my last two phones - not this one - but it's ability to freeze and uninstall apps was never too great for me. It's a lot easier to delete the apps (or rename them with a .bak at the end of the apk and odex files) using Root Explorer.
Yea I can't remember if I had to do that when I initially rooted, but it seems to be sticking. At one point today I had a notification that IMDB had been scanned, which was one of the apps giving me a headache, but it's still deleted so I'm crossing my fingers that it sticks.

I actually had to delete the APKs, reboot, then use titanium to uninstall. Even after using root Explorer to delete and rebooting, the apps were still in the drawer, but titanium permanently removed them.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

doogald
Old
Thanks Meter 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss12108 View Post
Yea I can't remember if I had to do that when I initially rooted, but it seems to be sticking. At one point today I had a notification that IMDB had been scanned, which was one of the apps giving me a headache, but it's still deleted so I'm crossing my fingers that it sticks.

I actually had to delete the APKs, reboot, then use titanium to uninstall. Even after using root Explorer to delete and rebooting, the apps were still in the drawer, but titanium permanently removed them.

I'm assuming that the imdb app was updated from the play store before you delete it. Updates to built in apps go to the data partition - they don't overwrite the system partition copy, so that's why it was still around. You probably could have gone into settings / apps, find imdb and tap it, uninstall updates. Then deleting the app from system would have made it disappear from the app drawer.

ss12108
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
I'm assuming that the imdb app was updated from the play store before you delete it. Updates to built in apps go to the data partition - they don't overwrite the system partition copy, so that's why it was still around. You probably could have gone into settings / apps, find imdb and tap it, uninstall updates. Then deleting the app from system would have made it disappear from the app drawer.
Ok thanks. I didn't realize that. Is that what the function in Titanium is for, "integrate updates into system ROM"?

kanagadeepan
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Ok thanks. I didn't realize that. Is that what the function in Titanium is for, "integrate updates into system ROM"?
Actually the "Integrate updates into System ROM" moves the updated app to system and thus clearing the data partition space, which is a good thing for phone with no sd slot. BUT, the problem is sometimes the app will repeatedly gets FC. Happened with Google Keyboard. I later found out a workaround though.

I recommend to first convert it (and all other updated via play sys apps) to USER APP first, then close Titanium and reopen it to "convert it to system app". This takes some more time, but there will be NO force closes. Believe me, this is working great.

Thanks...