Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,421 Members 39,175 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Android 4.3 conundrum.

Tip us?

Shoe-e
Old
(Last edited by Shoe-e; 13th April 2014 at 12:51 PM.) Reason: spelling
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] Android 4.3 conundrum.

I bought a smartphone off ebay to run with my budget sim-only contract, lovely spec on the face of it - Octacore 2GB RAM, 4.3 Android. I've done this before with a smartphone running 4.2 and had much fun. This time I'm rather stumped on a couple of issues.

I have already rooted this phone, and the real problem is that I can't access the hidden 'system' settings to change the default app 'play store' equivilant away from a chinese app, which opperates in 'chinese', would you believe?

This means I can't readily identify the tools that might help, prior to downloading them, and in anycase, although I haven't really pursued it to a great degree, it seems almost impossible to use the shopping cart of this app.
I've got as far as downloading the usual playstore app from Google.com, and it apparently loaded - but when attempting to use it (similarily with gmail) the app opens and closes within a second, although the settings say it is running.This means I'm stuck with poor bloatware and cant upgrade to match the units seeming sweet specs.

My google account says it recognises my device and some apps I've attempted to download have stated that they will be 'installed soon', but disappear into the ether.
The search default is also baidu in chinese, although I've installed an English browser.
Is there a ready solution that I'm missing?

Build Id = ALPS.JB3.MP.V1.37 - sorry can't put a link in yet, of course.

Shoe-e
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Google maps Engine..

Or to put it another way....Google maps engine has never worked ( my feeling is the system files are defaulted to a Chineses alternative) and I obviously cant work any app that involves GPS.

I've rooted this phone but cant find an app from china to let me play arround with system permissions.

I have to ask.....is this area considered 'dark' as I write, over 100 views and not a single coment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoe-e View Post
I bought a smartphone off ebay to run with my budget sim-only contract, lovely spec on the face of it - Octacore 2GB RAM, 4.3 Android. I've done this before with a smartphone running 4.2 and had much fun. This time I'm rather stumped on a couple of issues.

I have already rooted this phone, and the real problem is that I can't access the hidden 'system' settings to change the default app 'play store' equivilant away from a chinese app, which opperates in 'chinese', would you believe?

This means I can't readily identify the tools that might help, prior to downloading them, and in anycase, although I haven't really pursued it to a great degree, it seems almost impossible to use the shopping cart of this app.
I've got as far as downloading the usual playstore app from Google.com, and it apparently loaded - but when attempting to use it (similarily with gmail) the app opens and closes within a second, although the settings say it is running.This means I'm stuck with poor bloatware and cant upgrade to match the units seeming sweet specs.

My google account says it recognises my device and some apps I've attempted to download have stated that they will be 'installed soon', but disappear into the ether.
The search default is also baidu in chinese, although I've installed an English browser.
Is there a ready solution that I'm missing?

Build Id = ALPS.JB3.MP.V1.37 - sorry can't put a link in yet, of course.