Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Accidentally Hard Bricked an S3

OP purelight97

25th April 2014, 04:57 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

19 posts
I was updating an s3 running cyanogenmod 10.2.1 to 11. I realized that the bootloader needed to be updated long story short i accidentally flashed the i9300 bootloader instead and now my phone is hard bricked. I heard about a method using the sd card to allow the phone to enter boot recovery so i could get into download mode could someone help me to do this?
25th April 2014, 05:16 AM   |  #2  
Flag Sarasota
Thanks Meter: 104

772 posts
More
The only fix that I personally know of is using a jtag service. If there is an sd card fix floating around out there, you'll need to search for it. If you fail, mobiletechvideos.com can help. Expect a week to 10 day turn around time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to brianray14 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th April 2014, 02:57 PM   |  #3  
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 75

363 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by purelight97

I was updating an s3 running cyanogenmod 10.2.1 to 11. I realized that the bootloader needed to be updated long story short i accidentally flashed the i9300 bootloader instead and now my phone is hard bricked. I heard about a method using the sd card to allow the phone to enter boot recovery so i could get into download mode could someone help me to do this?

You are probably referring to the method posted in the thread below ....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2549068

You have nothing to lose in giving it a try. Doubtful if it will work, however, since it is specifically for recovering from a brick caused by flashing an older bootloader after 4.3 upgrade. As BrianRay advised, when you have a brick caused by flashing a different model's bootloader, a JTag operation may be required.
25th April 2014, 03:52 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999

You are probably referring to the method posted in the thread below ....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2549068

You have nothing to lose in giving it a try. Doubtful if it will work, however, since it is specifically for recovering from a brick caused by flashing an older bootloader after 4.3 upgrade. As BrianRay advised, when you have a brick caused by flashing a different model's bootloader, a JTag operation may be required.

Thanks, you wouldn't happen to have a 4.1.2 debrick.img?
25th April 2014, 11:58 PM   |  #5  
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 75

363 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by purelight97

Thanks, you wouldn't happen to have a 4.1.2 debrick.img?

Sadly, no, I don't. You could create one, however, if you know someone who has a similar device running 4.1.2. If you need further instructions on how to do this, you would need to contact the author of the original post. He is the expert there. A JTag may still be your best option, however.
26th April 2014, 05:52 PM   |  #6  
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 13

46 posts
More
Hey, try to get the phone into a download mode by using at USB jig. You can buy one for 3 bucks from ebay. If that doesnt do it, then you can go to the method of using the debrick image.

Once you exhaust all of these possibilities, then you can try the JTAG. But the Jtag service is expensive too. Good luck.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread