Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,700 Members 43,105 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] USB Charging port fix by crimping USB Cable?

Tip us?

jbjork70stpl
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] USB Charging port fix by crimping USB Cable?

Hello,

I was having problems with my S3 not charging when plugged into the USB charging cable. If I would wiggle the cable around, it would start charging. Then if I set the phone down, it would stop charging. I figured the USB port was loose and/or broken. However, I took an old USB charging cable and I crimped the end down to "tighten" up the small opening in the end of the USB cable. Now it charges, the USB connection to the phone is very tight and it starts charging and stays charging. Problem solved?

My question is why do I need to crimp the USB cable? Has my USB port on the phone worn out? I've taken out the motherboard and cleaned the USB port with contact cleaner (which did not help). Does the little "prong" inside the USB port wear out?

JerseyFF
Old
Thanks Meter 31

DONATE TO ME
I have recently had trouble with my phone charging from non-Samsung cables (the one that came with my phone still gives me no trouble). Similar issue, I suspect my phone port is wearing out.

Luckily, I have a wireless charger and battery cover so I dont use the port much now. Only down side is that there are no cases that fit with the VZW wireless charging battery cover.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Samsung Galaxy S3 | Stock (Rooted) | JellyBean
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 | Stock (Rooted) | Ice Cream Sandwich
-
Motorola RAZR Maxx | Stock (Rooted) | JellyBean (ret.)
HTC Incredible | SkyRaider Vanilla 3.0 (Rooted) | GingerBread (ret.)
HTC Droid Eris | Stock (Rooted) | GingerBread (ret.)

Need a Dropbox? Click --->http://db.tt/6bCtX5a
Did something I post answer your question? Was it helpful? Dont forget to click THANKS...
Tags
charger, charger port, charger problem, charging, usb port