Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,741 Members 47,075 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

M8 Terrible Signal vs DNA

Tip us?

Ravenbf
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I came from the GNex as well......and the signal on the M8 is about 100 times better than I ever had on the GNex. I go places now that I had 1x before and I have either 3G or 4G. That is horrible for you if your signal is not good, like everyone said, maybe it's defective.
HTC One (M8) - VZW, Nexus 10 32g

bakemcbride21
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomApollyon View Post
Something quite a few people here are not taking into account is that the M8 is utilizing Verizon's AWS band, whereas the Rezound/DNA are not. Your M8's signal bars are more than likely displaying AWS signal(assuming your area has AWS this will be the case). On a Rezound, your signal bars reflect your 1X signal...which will always be extremely high in most areas. On a DNA you will be seeing the normal LTE band.

If you're trying to compare to older devices like the Rezound, you need to launch a voice call on your M8 before even giving a second thought to the signal bars. To address the DNA...you won't really be able to compare the two devices since the DNA doesn't support the AWS band at all...unless you live in a non-AWS area.

If you do the appropriate comparisons, the M8's signal is great. I hope this helps clear up a lot of the misunderstanding going on in this thread.
Good point! At work I am definitely on AWS in Newark, NJ....LTE was brutal there for the last year and my DNA still only gets barely 1 MB down/up during the day, whereas the M8 will get between 20-40 MB and 15-20 up.

Definitely no AWS in Sussex County NJ though lol...no need for it as the current LTE implementation is more than enough for the smattering of well spaced out people up here in "the stix" of NJ. Plus my DNA and M8 get the same DL/UL speeds, telling me they're most likely using the same LTE 700 band. here. With that...the DNA does get better reception than the M8 here at home.

mc_365
Old
Thanks Meter 27
My Home is in Jersey City which for all purposes is NYC although im just as close to Newark NJ. Today I experienced 3 dropped calls on the VZW M8 and I never had a drop call on the DNA or Rezound. I've been curious as I've looked at the M8's signal meter and wondered why it was constantly around 2 bars at home. After the dropped calls I went into the phone info and see my signal is -107 to -112 dBm I'm not sure if this is ok, bad, or terrible. Maybe the new radios and firmware are not as good in the densely populated areas or maybe the phone is not as good as plastic phones in densely populated areas?