Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,562 Members 53,777 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

USB Mass Storage Mode?

Tip us?

Lokifish Marz
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3,277

DONATE TO ME
Default USB Mass Storage Mode?

OK, what Kit Kat ROMs have USB mass storage mode?
If a ROM does have it, exactly how/where is it enabled?

Either a ROM doesn't have it or if it does the dev hides it some place and requires digging through 100's of stupid pointless posts to maybe if you are lucky, find the answer.

I'm at the point with this USB mass storage B.S. that I'm ready to leave Android completely and get a flip phone. Whomever thought it was a good idea to remove it was an idiot and whomever signed off on it was even a bigger idiot.
Ubuntop- U4A/Webtop hybrid for all Tegra2 Motorola phones (Fully integrated Ubuntu Desktop)
Live ROM (One "ROM" over 12 phones) (Featured on XDA Portal and multiple other sites around the world and as base by many devs)
Imperium Initiative Photon (used as base by many Photon devs)
Imperium Initiative LS970 (used as base by many LS970 devs)
Imperium Agent LS970 (LS970 version of Live ROM)
Evo Desktop PC (Featured on XDA Portal and multiple other sites around the world)
(Nexus Q)uantum Singularity Project (Media Center, File Server, Website Server, LinuxonAndroid in little black ball of joy)
Umeox x201 EnSec Enhanced Security Patch and Live ROM Installer (used by multiple devs world wide on over 6 different models/versions of x201's)
Every Android device I've owned since the Hero- Media Center, File Server, Website Server

lotherius
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 590

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz View Post
OK, what Kit Kat ROMs have USB mass storage mode?
If a ROM does have it, exactly how/where is it enabled?

Either a ROM doesn't have it or if it does the dev hides it some place and requires digging through 100's of stupid pointless posts to maybe if you are lucky, find the answer.

I'm at the point with this USB mass storage B.S. that I'm ready to leave Android completely and get a flip phone. Whomever thought it was a good idea to remove it was an idiot and whomever signed off on it was even a bigger idiot.
MTP is absolutely terrible, completely half baked and totally unreliable.

Right now I just discovered that ChromeOS doesn't even support MTP... Google's OWN PRODUCT...

I'd like to know the answer as well.

QuizUp

Device Details:

PHONE: Nexus 5 - Stock / Xposed
TABLET 1: 2013 Nexus 7 LTE - Stock / Xposed
TABLET 2: 2012 Nexus 7 - Stock / Xposed / F2FS
PREVIOUS PHONES: Nexus 4 / LG G2X / Vibrant 3G / MyTouch 3G / LG Xenon / HTC G1 / HTC Touch Vogue / Sanyo KATANA / Motorola V220 / Nokia 5160 / Tin Can
PREVIOUS TABLET: HP TouchPad CM10.x
COMPUTER: Self-Built - Core i5 4670, 8GB DDR3, 240gb M500 SSD, OMFG Terabytes (7 TB last count), stuffed in a 2008 Dell XPS 730 case with a 27" AOC Monitor.
Google Plus

Captain Sweatpants
Old
Thanks Meter 83
I understand the frustrations but the problem with mass storage is that it surrenders all control of the internal storage to a PC not a problem when that's a different chip but on the n7 and most new smartphones its an emulated partition and giving over total control would mean that android cannot function at the same time. This was brought in to stop manufacturers using two separate chips giving you loads of "storage space" but very little application space. Its a work in progress and has many issues but its here to stay I don't think any ROMs will support USBMS as it not possible on a single chip without shutting down android.

Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app
Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning

Lokifish Marz
Old
Thanks Meter 3,277

DONATE TO ME
LOL. In camera mode you have access to the "Pictures" folder and is readable by Windows and other OSes. All that needs to be done is duplicate the same process and direct it to a folder called "Storage" with full permissions for the folders contents. This essentially simulates USBMS. You can even redirect mounts to that folder so that apps see it as a storage area as well so things like map data and so on are put in the "Storage" folder.

I don't have the time to mess with this but it can be done and something almost exactly like this has been done before on almost every OS.
Ubuntop- U4A/Webtop hybrid for all Tegra2 Motorola phones (Fully integrated Ubuntu Desktop)
Live ROM (One "ROM" over 12 phones) (Featured on XDA Portal and multiple other sites around the world and as base by many devs)
Evo Desktop PC (Featured on XDA Portal and multiple other sites around the world)
(Nexus Q)uantum Singularity Project (Media Center, File Server, Website Server, LinuxonAndroid in little black ball of joy)
Umeox x201 EnSec Enhanced Security Patch and Live ROM Installer (used by multiple devs world wide on over 6 different models/versions of x201's)
Every Android device I've owned since the Hero- Media Center, File Server, Website Server

Captain Sweatpants
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz View Post
LOL. In camera mode you have access to the "Pictures" folder and is readable by Windows and other OSes. All that needs to be done is duplicate the same process and direct it to a folder called "Storage" with full permissions for the folders contents. This essentially simulates USBMS. You can even redirect mounts to that folder so that apps see it as a storage area as well so things like map data and so on are put in the "Storage" folder.

I don't have the time to mess with this but it can be done and something almost exactly like this has been done before on almost every OS.
I imagine it can be done but it wouldn't be mass storage and would require apps to be compatible it may have been done on other systems but how much space should this storage folder be allocated because it would no longer be avalible to install apps. In camera mode android still retains control of the folder other os can read that folder but files must be copied off the device to be edited. It would be good if android could mount the SD card as mass storage.

Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app
Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning

Lokifish Marz
Old
Thanks Meter 3,277

DONATE TO ME
No it would not technically be mass storage, thus the "simulated" comment. As far as other OSes, it's already been done to a point on android already via the simulated partition that's already in use. This has also bee done using third party apps to mount folders as virtual drives.

App compatibility, if the folder is used as mount point then it is transparent to the OS and the apps. This has been done for some time now using third party apps.

The folder size could have the same limitations that the storage area has already been limited to. If coded so that it is part of the boot process then everything outside of system apps would only see the virtual area. Kind of like what's being done right now.

Dual mount. This has been used with much success and allows for PC and Android access to the same storage area at the same time.