Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

USB Mass Storage Mode?

OP Lokifish Marz

25th April 2014, 12:20 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars
Thanks Meter: 3,284

2,893 posts
Donate to Me
More
OK, what Kit Kat ROMs have USB mass storage mode?
If a ROM does have it, exactly how/where is it enabled?

Either a ROM doesn't have it or if it does the dev hides it some place and requires digging through 100's of stupid pointless posts to maybe if you are lucky, find the answer.

I'm at the point with this USB mass storage B.S. that I'm ready to leave Android completely and get a flip phone. Whomever thought it was a good idea to remove it was an idiot and whomever signed off on it was even a bigger idiot.
25th April 2014, 01:23 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Houston, TX
Thanks Meter: 593

2,062 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz

OK, what Kit Kat ROMs have USB mass storage mode?
If a ROM does have it, exactly how/where is it enabled?

Either a ROM doesn't have it or if it does the dev hides it some place and requires digging through 100's of stupid pointless posts to maybe if you are lucky, find the answer.

I'm at the point with this USB mass storage B.S. that I'm ready to leave Android completely and get a flip phone. Whomever thought it was a good idea to remove it was an idiot and whomever signed off on it was even a bigger idiot.

MTP is absolutely terrible, completely half baked and totally unreliable.

Right now I just discovered that ChromeOS doesn't even support MTP... Google's OWN PRODUCT...

I'd like to know the answer as well.
25th April 2014, 07:59 PM   |  #3  
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 83

329 posts
More
I understand the frustrations but the problem with mass storage is that it surrenders all control of the internal storage to a PC not a problem when that's a different chip but on the n7 and most new smartphones its an emulated partition and giving over total control would mean that android cannot function at the same time. This was brought in to stop manufacturers using two separate chips giving you loads of "storage space" but very little application space. Its a work in progress and has many issues but its here to stay I don't think any ROMs will support USBMS as it not possible on a single chip without shutting down android.

Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app
25th April 2014, 10:44 PM   |  #4  
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars

2,893 posts
Donate to Me
More
LOL. In camera mode you have access to the "Pictures" folder and is readable by Windows and other OSes. All that needs to be done is duplicate the same process and direct it to a folder called "Storage" with full permissions for the folders contents. This essentially simulates USBMS. You can even redirect mounts to that folder so that apps see it as a storage area as well so things like map data and so on are put in the "Storage" folder.

I don't have the time to mess with this but it can be done and something almost exactly like this has been done before on almost every OS.
26th April 2014, 07:49 PM   |  #5  
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 83

329 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz

LOL. In camera mode you have access to the "Pictures" folder and is readable by Windows and other OSes. All that needs to be done is duplicate the same process and direct it to a folder called "Storage" with full permissions for the folders contents. This essentially simulates USBMS. You can even redirect mounts to that folder so that apps see it as a storage area as well so things like map data and so on are put in the "Storage" folder.

I don't have the time to mess with this but it can be done and something almost exactly like this has been done before on almost every OS.

I imagine it can be done but it wouldn't be mass storage and would require apps to be compatible it may have been done on other systems but how much space should this storage folder be allocated because it would no longer be avalible to install apps. In camera mode android still retains control of the folder other os can read that folder but files must be copied off the device to be edited. It would be good if android could mount the SD card as mass storage.

Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app
26th April 2014, 08:41 PM   |  #6  
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars

2,893 posts
Donate to Me
More
No it would not technically be mass storage, thus the "simulated" comment. As far as other OSes, it's already been done to a point on android already via the simulated partition that's already in use. This has also bee done using third party apps to mount folders as virtual drives.

App compatibility, if the folder is used as mount point then it is transparent to the OS and the apps. This has been done for some time now using third party apps.

The folder size could have the same limitations that the storage area has already been limited to. If coded so that it is part of the boot process then everything outside of system apps would only see the virtual area. Kind of like what's being done right now.

Dual mount. This has been used with much success and allows for PC and Android access to the same storage area at the same time.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread