Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,798 Members 49,924 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC Rezound Restore to original ROM

Tip us?

scottcamp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default HTC Rezound Restore to original ROM

I have a HTC Rezound that in unlocked, and has Niles Business ICS on it. I can lock it, but it won't boot after. It will not let me flash the ROM to Vigor. It says the hboot failed. (can't remember the exact error).
I am unlocked S-ON with HBOOT 2.28.0000
radio 2.23.10.0123r/2.23.10.124r

can it be restored back? i hear the hboot version is the issue, but not entirely sure. some of the posts i read were old.

i am locking it, flashing the boot img and it fails. i leave it unlocked and try to flash boot img and it still fails.
The Following User Says Thank You to scottcamp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JBS976
Old
(Last edited by JBS976; 24th April 2014 at 03:35 PM.) Reason: added link
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcamp View Post
I have a HTC Rezound that in unlocked, and has Niles Business ICS on it. I can lock it, but it won't boot after. It will not let me flash the ROM to Vigor. It says the hboot failed. (can't remember the exact error).
I am unlocked S-ON with HBOOT 2.28.0000
radio 2.23.10.0123r/2.23.10.124r

can it be restored back? i hear the hboot version is the issue, but not entirely sure. some of the posts i read were old.

i am locking it, flashing the boot img and it fails. i leave it unlocked and try to flash boot img and it still fails.
You will need to obtain S-OFF status before you can go backwards. When I did mine I was on CM rom so I know that works, it needs to be booting to use rumrunner also. Try flashing CM then flash the boot.img in fastboot and get it booting then try rumrunner to get S-OFF. After that you can go back to stock using the guide on here. The instructions are easy to follow and with my limited knowledge I was able to do it so I have no doubt anyone can. Oh, you need to be unlocked to flash kernel in fastboot.

Bryon
once you get S-OFF use this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2509770
The Following User Says Thank You to JBS976 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

acejavelin
Old
Thanks Meter 418

DONATE TO ME
Your thinking into it too much, there is no way to return to stock unless S-OFF is achieved, and it must be bootable with a unsecure kernel to do that.

If you locked on a non-stock recovery, this will softbrick... in some cases if you had an engineered hboot, it can hard brick, but I don't think this is the case.

The quick fix is simple, unlock again, flash a stock-ish ROM (like http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2260154) or known good ROM like Tachyon... REMEMBER that when flashing S-ON, you MUST flash the boot.img seperately via Fastboot.

If you can't get to recovery, you can always boot it by pushing the img in fastboot mode and wipe/flash from there.
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Beanstalk 4.4.4 with hells-Core Kernel)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Official Beanstalk)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
Other phones "in the family": HTC DNA, HTC One (M7), Motorola Moto G GPE
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Stratosphere, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P

scottcamp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBS976 View Post
You will need to obtain S-OFF status before you can go backwards. When I did mine I was on CM rom so I know that works, it needs to be booting to use rumrunner also. Try flashing CM then flash the boot.img in fastboot and get it booting then try rumrunner to get S-OFF. After that you can go back to stock using the guide on here. The instructions are easy to follow and with my limited knowledge I was able to do it so I have no doubt anyone can. Oh, you need to be unlocked to flash kernel in fastboot.

Bryon
once you get S-OFF use this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2509770
I'll give this a whirl. I have to have it back to stock and locked for Work purposes. their email security servers do not allowed rooted phones.

JBS976
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcamp View Post
I'll give this a whirl. I have to have it back to stock and locked for Work purposes. their email security servers do not allowed rooted phones.
Cool, there are loads of instructions on here for doing this and it is pretty straight forward. I did it a while back for my daughters phone and it worked flawlessly. Just read and then re-read the instructions and you should have no problems. Let us know how it works out and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, someone will be able to help.

Bryon
The Following User Says Thank You to JBS976 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scottcamp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:

Bryon
Quote:
Cool, there are loads of instructions on here for doing this and it is pretty straight forward. I did it a while back for my daughters phone and it worked flawlessly. Just read and then re-read the instructions and you should have no problems. Let us know how it works out and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, someone will be able to help.

Bryon
Worked Perfectly! Thanks!!!!

JBS976
Old
Thanks Meter 14
You're welcome, glad to hear it all worked out.