Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,760 Members 47,312 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Galaxy S5 or HTC One M8?
HTC One M8 24 36.92%
Galaxy S5 41 63.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

[Poll and Discussion] HTC One M8 or Galaxy S5?

Tip us?

hemander
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 25
You can try to see the comparison on You Tube : HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5

brivette007
Old
Thanks Meter 24
I went to my AT&T store to play around with the S5 the other day. For kicks, I walked over to the M8 to try it out. Apparently, they couldn't be bothered to keep the battery charged, so that didn't work out.

Also, I looked at the back of it to check out that metal body and see what all the fuss was about. Somebody already had some fun carving into it:
My devices:

Bigger and better each year

AT&T Galaxy S5 (SM-G900A) Rooted!
Previous: AT&T Galaxy S2 (SGH-I777) running SHOstock3 v4.0
The Following User Says Thank You to brivette007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SolarTrans
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by brivette007 View Post
I went to my AT&T store to play around with the S5 the other day. For kicks, I walked over to the M8 to try it out. Apparently, they couldn't be bothered to keep the battery charged, so that didn't work out.

Also, I looked at the back of it to check out that metal body and see what all the fuss was about. Somebody already had some fun carving into it:

XD
That's pretty silly.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
iPhone 2G-5 (AT&T)
HTC One M7 (64GB, Developer Edition)
Galaxy S4 (16GB, AT&T)
Galaxy S4 (16GB, Google Play Edition)
Nexus 5 (32GB, White)
iPhone 5s (64GB, AT&T)
OnePlus One (64GB)
Sony Z Ultra (Google Play Edition)
iPad mini with Retina Display (128GB, AT&T LTE)
HTC One M8 (32GB, Google Play Edition)
LG G3 Cat. 6 (32GB, White)
LG G Watch (Black)

gavinfabl
Old
Thanks Meter 422
I've had my M8 for just over a week. I got to use the S5 at my local Carphone Warehouse for 20 mins yesterday.

Both phones IMO are very good. It really boils down to preference. I think you have to look at core features first.

Build - metal vs functional but gain water resistance and dust resistance. Do you want a phone that looks like a piece of art? Or is utilitarian.

Audio or camera - which is more important. Having great audio on headphones and loudspeaker makes a major improvement on every app that uses sound. Or does high pixel count vs effects come first? This one I can not decide as the M8 photos have been very good , but I know the S5 camera should be better.

Pedometer - it seems the fitbit inside the M8 is always on with no battery loss. No sure the S5 can operate the same way without having to turn on and off etc

IR remote - the HTC M8 has a much more powerful and nicer software for the infra red remote.

Sense vs TW - I like both. Sense is much lighter and therefore makes the M8 faster in use. In real life you won't be comparing. So it won't matter.

Miscellaneous - and then it's all the others extra bloatware of the S5 that the M8 doesn't have. I don't class it myself as bloatware but as options you can decide to use or not.

I see in my eyes the M8 at crafting and finessing a selection of aspects for a phone, whereas the S5 is a master of none but does give you everything.

It's a very tough call to choose.

My last thought was how comfortable and secure the S5 felt in the hand vs the M8. Being able to fit the entire width and height in your hand is a good thing. But then you don't get amplified speakers .....
Ongoing reviews of LG G3, Watch, HTC One M8, S5, Gear Fit+ 15 http://gavinsgadgets.wordpress.com/review-links/

20 Smartphone Camera Shootout incl LG G3, S5, M8 https://gavinsgadgets.wordpress.com/...-nexus-huawei/

Official Samsung Wireless Cover review & Pad http://gavinsgadgets.wordpress.com/2...-charging-pad/

Flow-Wolf
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,220
If it could help some of you to get a final decision I want to share this comparison video test!

Enjoy

French Engineer Student
DHD - One S - One X - One - D500

LINKS:
My Blog - review about rom tested
Google+ - Profile
Youtube Channel - My videos Reviews: Custom Rom, How To, accessories...
Facebook - Add me & follow my news & events by the group
Twitter

You can't drink and drive! But you can smoke and fly!
Ask me for new video!

If you can