[Q] Stuck in bootloop even after battery change

OP akpreets

18th April 2014, 08:41 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Hi,

I am new to this forum and do not know much of the technical terms. So here is my problem as best as I could say...

I have a unlocked Samsung S4 purchased last Sept (Philippines/SE Asia version, I think). The phone worked fine until the latest upgrade to Kitkat 3 weeks ago.

A week after the upgrade, the phone started rebooting itself. After checking this forum, it looked like a battery problem. On checking, it did have a swollen battery. At the same time, the S4 stopped working as a phone - meaning I could browse, use apps, but could not make calls.

First changed the battery with an original from Samsung, hoping everything would sort out. Unfortunately, it did not. The phone still kept restarting and the network signal showed as not available. So I went to my provider and got a new SIM card and changed it.

Unfortunately, that has also not solved my problem.

Now, my phone keeps rebooting itself. If I connect it to the charger, then the phone starts successfully. At times, it behaves well, but suddenly/randomly, if I touch an app (any app, no pattern) it will reboot again. Once it starts rebooting, it keeps doing that in the screen which has the samsung music comes - it would turn off again and keep restarting until that screen reaches again. Only if I connect to the charger would it start. Again, there is signal at times and there is no signal most of the times. My area has good network signal, so that should not be the problem.

I tried clearing the cache and clear all data/apps, but still no luck. Also, my battery still has / holds charge - so that is not the problem.

Could somebody please help me!!! Please let me know if you need any other details regarding this.

TIA.

Baseband version: I9505XXUFNBE
Last edited by akpreets; 18th April 2014 at 08:45 AM. Reason: updated title - every to even
18th April 2014, 09:19 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 558

1,811 posts
Donate to Me
More
1. Sig & log in Sammobile.com
2. Download ur firmware: HERE
3. Unzip it
4. Phone in DOWNLOAD MODE
5. Flash the firmware through ODIN like the pic attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	odin4c.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	2693675  
18th April 2014, 09:32 AM   |  #3  
Flag Jammu
Thanks Meter: 61

192 posts
More
It has nothing to do with your battery...but yes a swollen battery can be dangerous. Follow the steps told by @Joku1981 and don't upgrade to kitkat. Wait for a stable release from samsung.
The Following User Says Thank You to AbhiLP For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th April 2014, 07:22 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Hi,

I have already upgraded to kitkat, so cannot downgrade now.. . I had the request to upgrade to kitkat by the phone (Samsung).

As mentioned by Joku1981, I downloaded the Philippines firmware and did as mentioned. However, the phone was still randomly shutting down on opening some apps (esp Gallery, Playstore, Chrome) and failed to reboot.

I also tried to download the pit file and flash it again as mentioned in http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2265477. Still no lock.

I tried with UK's version of firmware, still same problem.

The phone can be restarted only if connected to the usb cable.

The "No Signal" issue seems to have been solved, but the rebooting randomly seems to be a real pain now.

After my latest flash, while i was in the third screen setting up the phone for language/accessibility --> "wi-fi setup" --> "Accept Samsung t&c's", the phone shut down again...

Is there any counter to identify the number of times the phone is flashed? Would it cause any problem?

Thanks
Last edited by akpreets; 20th April 2014 at 07:37 AM.
20th April 2014, 09:34 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Also No Service now!
Also noticed that after the last 2 restarts, the network signal shows full strength. However the default lock screen shows "No Service" (see picture). When I try to call when the phoneis in this status, the phone gets stuck in the dial screen and has to be rebooted...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0005[1].jpg
Views:	18
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	2697588  
20th April 2014, 09:41 AM   |  #6  
Flag Brussels
Thanks Meter: 2

31 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpreets

Also noticed that after the last 2 restarts, the network signal shows full strength. However the default lock screen shows "No Service" (see picture). When I try to call when the phoneis in this status, the phone gets stuck in the dial screen and has to be rebooted...

Though you flashed, do a factory reset one more time to be on the safe side - make sure the phone is 100% charged, and given your case do NOT touch the phone until the reset has completed.

One more thing to try - from experience some batteries are bigger than others and you said your previous one became swollen. This may cause the power pins to become too compressed causing the new battery to lose contact. This manifests on the phone as rebooting at the slightest of movement/flexing, try this:

1. Remove the battery
2. GENTLY pull out slightly the power pins on the phone - don't pull too hard.
3. Put the battery back, put a piece of cardboard or something at the bottom of the battery to make sure there's good contact

Let us know of the results
Last edited by Breach1337; 20th April 2014 at 09:46 AM.
27th April 2014, 08:42 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Nothing seemed to work but only got worse. The phone could not stay on even for a few hours. Finally gave it to the Samsung Service centre yesterday. They sad it might take upto 3 weeks if there was a motherboard change needed.

Fingers crossed...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread