Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,406 Members 41,913 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can you flash a custom rom to a different Kernel or vice versa?

Tip us?

yunamunchy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default [Q] Can you flash a custom rom to a different Kernel or vice versa?

Im just new to flashing roms and stuff so i have a question

Can you Flash a different Kernel to a different rom?

like for example , i have my Xperia S running on ParanoidAndroid 4.2 Beta 1 and since overclocking is not posible i want to flash a new kernel because i dont want to system reset my phone.

is it posible? Pls help

elia222
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2556

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunamunchy View Post

like for example , i have my Xperia S running on ParanoidAndroid 4.2 Beta 1 and since overclocking is not posible i want to flash a new kernel because i dont want to system reset my phone.

is it posible? Pls help
Yes, it's possible, just flash the kernel you want with cwm without wiping system or data. (Note that the kernel must be compatible with the rom!)
The Following User Says Thank You to elia222 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Redstarr1
Old
Thanks Meter 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunamunchy View Post

is it posible? Pls help
It is possible, but I don't think there is an overclocking kernel for PA yet. Deedwar wants to include it, but hasn't come to it yet. The AOSPA legacy ROMs will definitely not have overclocking though.
My current devices:
Sony Xperia S: Paranoid Android by deedwar
Google Nexus 7 (2013): Paranoid Android

YYvo
Old
(Last edited by YYvo; 27th April 2014 at 11:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 25
Hello @deedwar, @Redstarr1!
While we're on the subject, i was wondering if you could explain to me is it possible to use the boot.img from the newest experimental CM11 build by RaymanFX and use it (flash it) in AOSPA Legacy builds by Deedwar? Considering that the AOSPA legacy builds have cm as a base.

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my Xperia S using Tapatalk

deedwar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2038

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYvo View Post
Hello @deedwar, @Redstarr1!
While we're on the subject, i was wondering if you could explain to me is it possible to use the boot.img from the newest experimental CM11 build by RaymanFX and use it (flash it) in AOSPA Legacy builds by Deedwar? Considering that the AOSPA legacy builds have cm as a base.

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my Xperia S using Tapatalk
Not this time you cant. He has upgraded a few very key areas that require newer sources that need to be included in the ROM itself. So you will have to wait till i get around to editing the kernel and adding it to my github for AOSPA to build from.

Due to time constraints I will NOT answer PM's unless it is a development question from another ROM developer. You need to post in the appropriate forum with the required issue and either myself or another user will answer if they can.
The Following User Says Thank You to deedwar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]