Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,635 Members 38,665 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How resistant is the phone?

Tip us?

declan8888
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by acPIZZA View Post
I was just thinking off the top of my head. Good point. I really don't know why one company chooses waterproof and one chooses resistant.

Does the Sony have a removable back plate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Perhaps it could be Samsung taking an extra step to cover themselves. The new Sony's are all sealed shut but I imagine the waterproofing is just the same method with the rubber seal

Sent from my SM-G900F using xda app-developers app

SeaFractor
Old
Thanks Meter 66
You can't see it, because it blends in with the case material, but the entire back of the Sony phone is covered with fine print.

Using a special ultraviolet light, defending counsel will illuminate the phone in court and have you testify as they point out that it was printed there all along.

It's in the booklet, needless to say Samsung does appear to be working at covering themselves from liability more than Sony.
Current: Samsung Galaxy S5, 16GB with stock ROM
Former iPhone 4 owner on ATT. Switched the week my contract was up to T-Mobile. w00t!
Former Samsung Galaxy SIII SGH-T999, 16GB and 32GB miniSD card, T-mobile with stock ROM
Tablet(s): Google Nexus 10, 32GB with stock ROM, Google Nexus 7, 8GB with stock ROM

hemander
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by acPIZZA View Post
It's resistant, not rugged.

It's water and dust resistance seems more like in case the phone falls in water, or in case you drop it at the beach. Not, "hey let's go swimming with my phone in my pocket!"

This is just my initial impression. It feels like any other Samsung phone. I'm not willing to test it out because I don't want to risk it in case I return the phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Yeah! This makes sense! It's just that, they test it so people would know how resistant it is, but me either, I will not risk mine. Maybe, by accident it fell in the water, then I'll see what happen next if it's true.

pepeo123
Old
(Last edited by pepeo123; 26th April 2014 at 03:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 19
sony says they device are waterproof because they are ip58, the 8 means they are completely waterproof aka completed sealed from water. and in this case, the depth and time of immersion are specified by the manufacturer. sony specifies it 2m and 30 minutes, so if you keep the devive under water but dont go beyond that, it should be fine

homer285
Old
(Last edited by homer285; 26th April 2014 at 03:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 37
Its close to moron resistant so I say keep away(Im not even joking), just how resistant is it well you may burn your hands at first touch!

Oh yeah sick thread dude its real awesome!
M7 Red, G3 D855 Titan, Z1 Black

dragon135
Old
Thanks Meter 64
It maybe water resistent. But I think if you have open close the usb port hundred times, the water protection will not be perfect anymore.

Sent from GT-I9500

AMoosa
Old
Thanks Meter 187
You won't need to baby it as much as the HTC. With the metal back on the HTC, you'd be afraid of even putting it down on a table for fear of scratching it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 8.0
United Kingdom
Three UK

Previously owned - HTC One M8, Galaxy S4, Sony Xperia Z, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3 Pebble Blue and White, Asus Transformer Prime, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Tab 10.1, HTC Desire S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S, Motorola XPRT, Motorola Xoom, HTC Desire Z, HTC Desire, Motorola Milestone, Nexus One, HTC Hero, HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC Athena, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Universal (that's all I can think of for now...)