(Q) CPU controller

OP jukiewalsh

27th April 2014, 02:04 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 121

522 posts
More
I just got an m7 and I'm trying to figure out how to control the other CPU frequencies. I know on my old s3 I could just run echo them through a script but on here the only CPU with the cpufreq folder is cpu0, I can't seem to find anything on it so does anyone know how to do this?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
27th April 2014, 05:06 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 2

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukiewalsh

I just got an m7 and I'm trying to figure out how to control the other CPU frequencies. I know on my old s3 I could just run echo them through a script but on here the only CPU with the cpufreq folder is cpu0, I can't seem to find anything on it so does anyone know how to do this?

If you're rooted, you can install a custom kernel like elemetal IX, this will allow you to set max frequency for each core. Just make sure you're using a compatible ROM, like ARHD. If you're looking for something that will allow on the fly adjustment, I'll have to find something else.

The Following User Says Thank You to rmacd02 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2014, 07:13 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh

522 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacd02

If you're rooted, you can install a custom kernel like elemetal IX, this will allow you to set max frequency for each core. Just make sure you're using a compatible ROM, like ARHD. If you're looking for something that will allow on the fly adjustment, I'll have to find something else.

Ohh so it is a kernel specific thing, I thought it could be done on any. Thanks a lot I should be able to figure the rest out from here.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
27th April 2014, 07:17 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 11,632

14,094 posts
More
Quote:

Ohh so it is a kernel specific thing, I thought it could be done on any. Thanks a lot I should be able to figure the rest out from here.

yeah with newer HTC devices you can't change freqs on the fly on stock kernel, because HTC have daemons and stuff to boost CPU and it will always reset it to stock 384-1728MHz
Either you need a kernel with pnpmgr (poewr and performance manager) ndisabled, freqs limited in the kernel source or one with aroma max freq choice
The Following User Says Thank You to poondog For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2014, 07:20 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh

522 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by poondog

yeah with newer HTC devices you can't change freqs on the fly on stock kernel, because HTC have daemons and stuff to boost CPU and it will always reset it to stock 384-1728MHz
Either you need a kernel with pnpmgr (poewr and performance manager) ndisabled, freqs limited in the kernel source or one with aroma max freq choice

Yeah I was having the HTC daemon problem earlier for hours and couldn't set any of my frequencies.. New phones always make you feel like a noob again lol

27th April 2014, 07:54 AM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Melbourne

14,094 posts
More
Quote:

Yeah I was having the HTC daemon problem earlier for hours and couldn't set any of my frequencies.. New phones always make you feel like a noob again lol

Always, especially when you switch brands!
The Following User Says Thank You to poondog For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2014, 08:09 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh

522 posts
More
Quote:

Always, especially when you switch brands!

I hate to ask because I could find it myself but do you happen to know of a few other kernels that supports all core control or one you recommend? Elemental x is over a month dated and doesn't have a lot of useful extra governors imo. I'm running android revolution. So far the threads I've checked either don't mention they support it or just don't.

27th April 2014, 08:28 AM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Melbourne

14,094 posts
More
Quote:

I hate to ask because I could find it myself but do you happen to know of a few other kernels that supports all core control or one you recommend? Elemental x is over a month dated and doesn't have a lot of useful extra governors imo. I'm running android revolution. So far the threads I've checked either don't mention they support it or just don't.

Extra governors are not needed since on demand does the job well, its like a hybrid interactive/ondemand though how it has post freqs etc
I'd recommend elemental, bulletproof, kangaroo (coughcough)
Imo limiting freq doesn't do much for battery.. But you can use power saver mode to limit to 1134mhz and its still super smooth

Extra bells and whistles are not needed and are buzzwords
27th April 2014, 05:26 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh

522 posts
More
Quote:

Extra governors are not needed since on demand does the job well, its like a hybrid interactive/ondemand though how it has post freqs etc
I'd recommend elemental, bulletproof, kangaroo (coughcough)
Imo limiting freq doesn't do much for battery.. But you can use power saver mode to limit to 1134mhz and its still super smooth

Extra bells and whistles are not needed and are buzzwords

Haha didn't see you were the Dev, I'll give it a run for awhile. And I just mostly don't like how the phone heats up when running at the higher frequencies/voltages but I know on my last phone limiting the CPU speeds seemed to have helped a lot. Overall I'd just rather have longer battery life over performance any day.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread