Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,299 Members 48,902 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How likely will be see Microsoft Office on Note PRO?

Tip us?

muzzy996
Old
(Last edited by muzzy996; 1st April 2014 at 04:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 144
Anyone using it on their phones? Are you able to open email attachments within it, edit them and send them back? Just wondering since it has been noted that it doesn't allow writing to local storage but works only with OneDrive.

Edit: Just watched Android Authority's review and am unimpressed. Hancom offers far more functionality than the office mobile apps.

http://youtu.be/pYuJIGwloCk

At least with hancom you have the ability to insert and manipulate images.

hajime_android
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy996 View Post
Anyone using it on their phones? Are you able to open email attachments within it, edit them and send them back? Just wondering since it has been noted that it doesn't allow writing to local storage but works only with OneDrive.
I installed it on my Galaxy Note 2 but it seems that it cannot open files stored in the phone. It seems that we have to store the files in OneDrive first. Can anybody else confirm this? It seems to be inconvenience. Anybody tried OneDrive? Is Microsoft trying to make us use this service?

Mighty Mike
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime_android View Post
I installed it on my Galaxy Note 2 but it seems that it cannot open files stored in the phone. It seems that we have to store the files in OneDrive first. Can anybody else confirm this? It seems to be inconvenience. Anybody tried OneDrive? Is Microsoft trying to make us use this service?
Confirmed. You have save files in OneDrive.

You can open email attachments, edit and send, but that is it. The 'back of storage options is sad. I do get why they do it, they have to make money since they are not charging for the app. It needs to support Dropbox or at least local storage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mighty Mike For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hajime_android
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
So, basically it is no use unless I get OneDrive. If I do, will it be fully compatible with the Windows/Mac versions of Office?

wingdo
Old
Thanks Meter 48
You can get 10 GB of free OneDrive storage. I use it solely for backups of my documents and textbooks. Hancom blows Office for Android out of the water at current, and unless they update it to be able to work on files while offline I don't see it beating Hancom anytime soon.

Samsung's agreement with Hancom helps make the Pro series THE Android tablet to own.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Samsung Galaxy S4: Rooted de-bloated Stock 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014: Stock, rooted, bloat frozen
Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2: Stock, rooted, de-bloated

D1 -> POS ThunderBolt -> Bionic -> RAZR MAXX -> Samsung Galaxy S4
The Following User Says Thank You to wingdo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Drenyx
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I haven't tried all the functionality yet, but at least for now it appears M$ is also allowing 'office online' for free if you have any kind of microsoft account (xbox, onedrive, etc).

Go to office.com and you can use office online, appears to work fine in chrome browser with 'request desktop site' ticked. Obviously internet connection needed, might chew up a bit more bandwidth than office mobile but hopefully someone finds it useful.

Janis
Old
(Last edited by Janis; 27th April 2014 at 05:19 PM.)
Thanks Meter 29
Default It's not perfect, but it's solid, and FREE

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...andropenoffice

Some of the graphics scaling is off, but not unusable.

Not that these devices are considered affordable, but open source software is, for everyone. It provides opportunities for new, and otherwise-hampered developers to hone their skills. Here's the kicker, though, it can (and sometimes does) keep commercial software developers on their toes, that is, if it doesn't provide them with usable code. My favorite part about it is that it's free of commercial interest, so far, so you don't have to worry about data-mining or time-wasting popups & notifications.

Not that this is open source, but OO is, as are the file formats. Every little nudge helps.
Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900T), stock rooted with CF-Auto Root
T-mobile S3, stock rooted with CF-Auto Root
Galaxy Note GT-N7000, RocketRom
TPT 16gb stock rooted back from repair & working slowly but beautifully
Vibrant & still pretty happy with it with CM10.1
G1 on CM6 as kitchen timer and remote keyboard

Flashing is better in your jammies!