Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,034 Members 46,843 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Yet another "I'm stuck at the AT&T screen and I it's not recognized" thread

Tip us?

FEF
Old
(Last edited by FEF; 22nd April 2014 at 04:18 PM.) Reason: Even more questions
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Yet another "I'm stuck at the AT&T screen and I it's not recognized" thread

Greetings, all

I've been trying to figure this out, off and on, for 2-3 weeks. I could use some help.

Originally, I was running Cognition, but I can't even remember what I was trying to flash because I've tried so many things... The bottom line is that I'm at the download screen, but all the PC's I have (win 7) don't recognize it. I'm convinced that if I can get the PC to recognize it, then I could reload i897uckk4. But...

Things I have done:
- Rebooted, switched cables, turned everything off and on, tried on different machines, all the hardware easy stuff.
- Uninstalled drivers, tried other drivers, uninstalled Odin, Heimdall, Kies, rebooted and tried only one at a time.
- Tried all the USB ports on all the PCs
- Different phones are seen from the 2 cables I've been using.

This phone worked and was recognized on this machine before I screwed it up. I don't see how it's a phone hardware issue. Sure, it could be, but I really don't think so. That leaves drivers for Win 7, 64-bit. I've tried these files as Administrator:
- usb_drivers_GalaxyS_x64
- Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.14.0
I've even tried these for kicks:
-SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_x86
- SGH-i897_Captivate_USB_Drivers_5_02_0_2

Now that I've tried all I can find, I think the ones I want to keep are the "usb_drivers_GalaxyS_x64"

Thing is, it worked before "The Big Hose of 2014". It should have been recognized, but it stopped being recognized after an unsuccessful attempt at flashing back to stock, after an unsuccessful attempt at Cyanogen. The only thing I can think of is that I tried to flash the wrong ROM version, or something like that, and the phone is in a state where it's not sending the proper handshake.

The error I'm getting is classic, and all over these forums:
- I've tried to manually load "Samsung Android USB Composite Device" driver - Device can not start. Code 10
- All devices like WMC, Mobile Modem, ect - Code 10
- A few others result in the Code 10, too.

I've tried to find the GUID for it in the Registry to delete the Upper and Lower Filters.

What's left? I'm sure it's a small thing. I could use a few more hints.

Two last questions:
Will doing the unbrickable mod help, or is it too late?
Does it charge while in download mode, or if the star like circle is not spinning?

BWolf56
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1682

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEF View Post
Greetings, all

I've been trying to figure this out, off and on, for 2-3 weeks. I could use some help.

Originally, I was running Cognition, but I can't even remember what I was trying to flash because I've tried so many things... The bottom line is that I'm at the download screen, but all the PC's I have (win 7) don't recognize it. I'm convinced that if I can get the PC to recognize it, then I could reload i897uckk4. But...

Things I have done:
- Rebooted, switched cables, turned everything off and on, tried on different machines, all the hardware easy stuff.
- Uninstalled drivers, tried other drivers, uninstalled Odin, Heimdall, Kies, rebooted and tried only one at a time.
- Tried all the USB ports on all the PCs
- Different phones are seen from the 2 cables I've been using.

This phone worked and was recognized on this machine before I screwed it up. I don't see how it's a phone hardware issue. Sure, it could be, but I really don't think so. That leaves drivers for Win 7, 64-bit. I've tried these files as Administrator:
- usb_drivers_GalaxyS_x64
- Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.14.0
I've even tried these for kicks:
-SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_x86
- SGH-i897_Captivate_USB_Drivers_5_02_0_2

Now that I've tried all I can find, I think the ones I want to keep are the "usb_drivers_GalaxyS_x64"

Thing is, it worked before "The Big Hose of 2014". It should have been recognized, but it stopped being recognized after an unsuccessful attempt at flashing back to stock, after an unsuccessful attempt at Cyanogen. The only thing I can think of is that I tried to flash the wrong ROM version, or something like that, and the phone is in a state where it's not sending the proper handshake.

The error I'm getting is classic, and all over these forums:
- I've tried to manually load "Samsung Android USB Composite Device" driver - Device can not start. Code 10
- All devices like WMC, Mobile Modem, ect - Code 10
- A few others result in the Code 10, too.

I've tried to find the GUID for it in the Registry to delete the Upper and Lower Filters.

What's left? I'm sure it's a small thing. I could use a few more hints.

Two last questions:
Will doing the unbrickable mod help, or is it too late?
Does it charge while in download mode, or if the star like circle is not spinning?
You probably already saw this thread, but in case: Captivate - PC Connection Issues, Download Mode and Recovery Mode Help

As for what is left, trying on another pc could be a good idea. If the drivers aren't already installed on it, even plugged in download mode, it should install drivers.
Sent by falcon messenger while riding a laser equipped T-rex on a rocket
>>Get Dropbox right here<<
>>Rogers LTE tethering mod<<
Galaxy S III I747m
ROM: AOKP 4.4.4
Kernel: KT747
Modem: ND3
Launcher: Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelendel
Jig ~ You should never need one but.. Use the condom theory.
The Following User Says Thank You to BWolf56 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FEF
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWolf56 View Post
You probably already saw this thread, but in case: Captivate - PC Connection Issues, Download Mode and Recovery Mode Help

As for what is left, trying on another pc could be a good idea. If the drivers aren't already installed on it, even plugged in download mode, it should install drivers.
I've already tried the stuff in the link. I did that first.

I have 7 computers, all running Win 7. This Captivate is not recognized my any of them.

Looks like I'm headed to the unbrickable mod. I'll have to dual boot to Linux for these fixes.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1242466

If worse comes to worse, looks like I have a soldering iron and guitar pick in my future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frn9o03DHsE
http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...od-and-beyond/

Looks like I bricked it good. It's time to work on the hardware, I guess. It would be fun, if I hadn't already screwed up my phone. I bought another Captivate off eBay for $50, so at least I'll have a phone.

FEF
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
This story has a twist for an ending. I thought I'd post just in case someone else is thinking about getting out the soldering iron.

The funny thing is that after my new (old) phone (a nice one too) I bought from eBay showed up, I started flashing and generally screwing around. Both phones look the same so I couldn't tell exactly which one was which, so I plugged them both in, thinking that I'd fine the one that was responsive. They both went into the Ginger Bread funky "Firmware Upgrade Failed" screen. This was a head scratcher, indeed. I read a while back about how build dates are important when flashing soft bricked Captivates.

One of the phones has a build date of 1007. Since is well before 1010, I looked around for the Eclair Stock ROM and found it here.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=731989

It appears that the early Captivates are very particular about what you flash when going back to stock. I couldn't tell you why the old phone started working. Maybe because I used a JIG then pulled the battery out for a few days? It's possible. All I know is that "I897UCJF6-final-OCD-REV0" one-click has them both up and running.

At least now I know what I can call my "reset". I'm going to flash GB, then see if I can get to Cognition again, and try "cm-10.2.1-captivatemtd". If they bomb out, I feel real good that I have a way to bring them back.

I hope this can help someone along the way. With the Captivate selling for about $50, albeit 3G, it's not a bad phone at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to FEF For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]