Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,034 Members 47,228 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] I can't get into bootloader/fastboot mode

Tip us?

wintermute000
Old
(Last edited by wintermute000; 26th April 2014 at 01:50 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 147
Default [Q] I can't get into bootloader/fastboot mode

I can't get into the bootloader/fastboot mode, is there something wrong?
Note I am now on stock 4.4 (including stock recovery/kernel etc.) but previously i had custom recovery and same error.

- tried rebooting into bootloader from recovery when I had philz and/or TWRP - would just boot into the OS
- tried power + button up (i.e. reverse of booting into recovery) - same, boots into OS
- tried quick boot root app - same, boots into OS

WTF

Not hugely concerned since I could get into recovery lol but why is it I can't get into bootloader/fastboot mode? What if the OS is broken and I need to ADB something?

Note I rooted/TWRP/PHilzed and went custom for awhile, then I made my own zip using below thread and a full kdz and flashed back to stock including recovery/kernel/baseband (I wanted to go back to 100% stock).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3#post52207783

Thanks

GenghisKhan67
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Isn't the bootloader locked on the G2? Coming from a Nexus phone, I was also looking for the option but read it wasn't currently possible to unlock it.
"Why Genghis Khan was good for the planet: laying waste to land scrubbed 700m tonnes of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere." The Guardian, Jan. 26th 2011

wintermute000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 147
I know we're BL locked, I meant fastboot or download mode or whatever the mode is where you can use adb commands and/or fastboot flash recovery recovery.img if I never need to manually fix recovery for example.

GenghisKhan67
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute000 View Post
I know we're BL locked, I meant fastboot or download mode or whatever the mode is where you can use adb commands and/or fastboot flash recovery recovery.img if I never need to manually fix recovery for example.
You can use ADB by enabling USB debugging in developer options.

Download mode can be enabled by turning the phone off, pushing power+Volume Up and then plugging in your phone to your PC with a USB cable - I've used this twice already to recover from experimenting with recoveries and ROMs (by going back to stock following instructions here: http://www.droidviews.com/how-to-res...tock-firmware/)
"Why Genghis Khan was good for the planet: laying waste to land scrubbed 700m tonnes of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere." The Guardian, Jan. 26th 2011

treebill
Old
Thanks Meter 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisKhan67 View Post

Download mode can be enabled by turning the phone off, pushing power+Volume Up and then plugging in your phone to your PC with a USB cable - I've used this twice already to recover from experimenting with recoveries and ROMs (by going back to stock following instructions here: http://www.droidviews.com/how-to-res...tock-firmware/)
also i've found the phone won't boot in to recovery if it's on mains charge (via button combo not adb/in rom apps or APM)
Our OS who art in CPU, UNIX be thy name. Thy programs run, thy syscalls done, In kernel as it is in user!

My photo blog
Tower Gamers

wintermute000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisKhan67 View Post

Thanks, the plugging in USB cable is probably the bit I'm missing!

I know I can use ADB with USB debugging, I'm asking the question if I need to recover from softbrick and can't get into OS