Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,170 Members 49,003 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] S3 dead. Get an S3 or S4? (and some Safestrap questions)

Tip us?

Oishikatta
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mageus View Post
Mistertac, thanx.

That's kinda what I thought, but the information on this board isn't very clear about this. (or rather, there is much conflicting information in various posts).

Here's what I understand from general android knowledge:
- Baseband = modem
- Build # = ROM base
- kernel = . . . . (wait for it) . . . kernel

So, if you've upgraded the modem and ROM base on MDK, the only way to confirm unlocked bootloader is with one of the market apps or via the command line?

Also, I presume this person was incorrect in saying "as long as you do not flash any zip radio". What they probably meant was don't flash a stock FW?

Thanx for all the patience with my questions. I want to make sure I'm getting what's advertised.
The easiest way to confirm unlocked (or loki) bootloader is simply that it's running AOSP. Vanir is definitely an AOSP rom, so you can be sure it's got the unlocked (loki) bootloader.

If the seller is running a touchwiz rom, then this app is probably the simplest way for them to show what bootloader version they have.

Don't flash any modem+non-hlos otherwise you'll lose sound and stuff. If you do though, should always be able to fix by flashing the matching non-hlos for MDK or doing an odin back to stock MDK and re-rooting/loki. You have to be very careful if you ever do need to use Odin that you only use the MDK .tar, because it you upgrade there's no going back.

Really no need to bother with modem/etc, just flash the MK2 modem only (if the seller hasn't already) and you'll be set there.

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1249

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mageus View Post
Mistertac, thanx.

That's kinda what I thought, but the information on this board isn't very clear about this. (or rather, there is much conflicting information in various posts).

Here's what I understand from general android knowledge:
- Baseband = modem
- Build # = ROM base
- kernel = . . . . (wait for it) . . . kernel

So, if you've upgraded the modem and ROM base on MDK, the only way to confirm unlocked bootloader is with one of the market apps or via the command line?

Also, I presume this person was incorrect in saying "as long as you do not flash any zip radio". What they probably meant was don't flash a stock FW?

Thanx for all the patience with my questions. I want to make sure I'm getting what's advertised.
Exactly. Sounds like you've got a handle on it.

And what Oishikatta said is all great info too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

mageus
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I bought an MDK S4 through Sw****. It's in great condition. I installed the latest Vanir. Aside from a few Google bugs, it works great. Thanx for all of the advice.
Tags
gs3, safestrap