Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] S3 dead. Get an S3 or S4? (and some Safestrap questions)

OP mageus

22nd April 2014, 07:04 PM   |  #31  
Thanks Meter: 81

151 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mageus

Mistertac, thanx.

That's kinda what I thought, but the information on this board isn't very clear about this. (or rather, there is much conflicting information in various posts).

Here's what I understand from general android knowledge:
- Baseband = modem
- Build # = ROM base
- kernel = . . . . (wait for it) . . . kernel

So, if you've upgraded the modem and ROM base on MDK, the only way to confirm unlocked bootloader is with one of the market apps or via the command line?

Also, I presume this person was incorrect in saying "as long as you do not flash any zip radio". What they probably meant was don't flash a stock FW?

Thanx for all the patience with my questions. I want to make sure I'm getting what's advertised.

The easiest way to confirm unlocked (or loki) bootloader is simply that it's running AOSP. Vanir is definitely an AOSP rom, so you can be sure it's got the unlocked (loki) bootloader.

If the seller is running a touchwiz rom, then this app is probably the simplest way for them to show what bootloader version they have.

Don't flash any modem+non-hlos otherwise you'll lose sound and stuff. If you do though, should always be able to fix by flashing the matching non-hlos for MDK or doing an odin back to stock MDK and re-rooting/loki. You have to be very careful if you ever do need to use Odin that you only use the MDK .tar, because it you upgrade there's no going back.

Really no need to bother with modem/etc, just flash the MK2 modem only (if the seller hasn't already) and you'll be set there.
22nd April 2014, 07:26 PM   |  #32  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,267

4,288 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mageus

Mistertac, thanx.

That's kinda what I thought, but the information on this board isn't very clear about this. (or rather, there is much conflicting information in various posts).

Here's what I understand from general android knowledge:
- Baseband = modem
- Build # = ROM base
- kernel = . . . . (wait for it) . . . kernel

So, if you've upgraded the modem and ROM base on MDK, the only way to confirm unlocked bootloader is with one of the market apps or via the command line?

Also, I presume this person was incorrect in saying "as long as you do not flash any zip radio". What they probably meant was don't flash a stock FW?

Thanx for all the patience with my questions. I want to make sure I'm getting what's advertised.

Exactly. Sounds like you've got a handle on it.

And what Oishikatta said is all great info too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
28th April 2014, 01:11 AM   |  #33  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

47 posts
I bought an MDK S4 through Sw****. It's in great condition. I installed the latest Vanir. Aside from a few Google bugs, it works great. Thanx for all of the advice.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gs3, safestrap
Previous Thread Next Thread