Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,283 Members 38,655 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Funky Front Facing Camera

Tip us?

redline06
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I think I have an idea about what you're experiencing, I always thought I looked funnier than I normally do when talking a photo with the front facing camera lol. I found that I look normal before taking the picture but then after taking the photo and when reviewing it something always looked off. I then found out about the "Save as flipped' option when you press the settings button while in the front facing camera mode. I turned that on and it was better, granted all its doing is flipping the image but it just looked so funny when that setting is off for some reason.
Try it out and see if its the same for you.

cmjkxa
Old
Thanks Meter 86
It's not that. When you have the phone in front of your face taking a "selfie", try moving the phone up and down as far as you can while still seeing the screen and have the camera on your face. You'll notice your face and head starts to distort.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to cmjkxa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Aou
Old
Thanks Meter 449

DONATE TO ME
My guesses:
a) The lens itself is distorted intentionally to fill the extra "widescreen" areas of your display with an otherwise 4:3 ratio sensor.
b) The digital picture is distorted intentionally to fill that same extra void when viewing a 4:3 ratio picture on a 16:9 display.

Think of the days when HD (720p) was brand-new. Some of the first broadcasts that were in "HD" were simply 4:3 ratio videos stretched on the sides to fill up that extra space on your TV (versus having the "black bars" fill it instead).
Current device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900T)
Current ROM: Stock, rooted
Current mood:
If my advice has helped you, please let me know by hitting the "THANKS" button! I also accept donations of beer or pizza.

daxecutioner24
Old
Thanks Meter 110
It could be that the front facing camera just isn't very good, poorly made. I mean it's 2.1 mp. People still use their back camera for selfie lol

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app

sg3love
Old
(Last edited by sg3love; 27th April 2014 at 12:02 AM.) Reason: Forgot to add words.
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline06 View Post
I think I have an idea about what you're experiencing, I always thought I looked funnier than I normally do when talking a photo with the front facing camera lol. I found that I look normal before taking the picture but then after taking the photo and when reviewing it something always looked off. I then found out about the "Save as flipped' option when you press the settings button while in the front facing camera mode. I turned that on and it was better, granted all its doing is flipping the image but it just looked so funny when that setting is off for some reason.
Try it out and see if its the same for you.
Hello, thank you for the attempt but I tried both options.. And still.. I think the front camera just isn't that good.. My s3 was better than this. I feel like I'm using a circus mirror as a camera..

Current Phone: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 in Shimmery White

cdjaney
Old
Thanks Meter 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg3love View Post
Hello, thank you for the attempt but I tried both options.. And still.. I think the front camera just isn't that good.. My s3 was better than this. I feel like I'm using a circus mirror as a camera..

I don't have the phone yet but reading for education. This may be silly to ask, but does the distance you put the camera from you change the distortion? I know our arms are only so long, but just a thought.... Since it was pointed out that it does have the extra wide angle lens

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to cdjaney For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sg3love
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjaney View Post
I don't have the phone yet but reading for education. This may be silly to ask, but does the distance you put the camera from you change the distortion? I know our arms are only so long, but just a thought.... Since it was pointed out that it does have the extra wide angle lens

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
Hey more knowledge to you my friend! I did a test with distance and I got the same distortion no matter how far i stood from the front facing camera, if I got near the top of the bottom of the screen, I would become bulging, and a little longitudinal.

sg3love
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aou View Post
My guesses:
a) The lens itself is distorted intentionally to fill the extra "widescreen" areas of your display with an otherwise 4:3 ratio sensor.
b) The digital picture is distorted intentionally to fill that same extra void when viewing a 4:3 ratio picture on a 16:9 display.

Think of the days when HD (720p) was brand-new. Some of the first broadcasts that were in "HD" were simply 4:3 ratio videos stretched on the sides to fill up that extra space on your TV (versus having the "black bars" fill it instead).
You bring up a great point with the "widescreen" but it is 2014 don't you think they would have thought of a way to get a wider ratio with out distorting an image? This makes the front facing camera unusable to some. The HTC one also has a front widescreen screen camera but does not distort.

cdjaney
Old
Thanks Meter 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg3love View Post
You bring up a great point with the "widescreen" but it is 2014 don't you think they would have thought of a way to get a wider ratio with out distorting an image? This makes the front facing camera unusable to some. The HTC one also has a front widescreen screen camera but does not distort.
Again probably a pointless suggestion, but have you experimented with the different resolution on the front cam? Makes a mild difference on my S3

Sent from my GT-N5110 using xda app-developers app

sg3love
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjaney View Post
Again probably a pointless suggestion, but have you experimented with the different resolution on the front cam? Makes a mild difference on my S3

Sent from my GT-N5110 using xda app-developers app
Hey good idea and it made a difference, I lowered resolution to 1.6 mp1440x 1080 and the effect was still there. 4:3

I put the resolution on 1mp 1072x1072 and the effect is completely gone. Ratio is 1:1

Then I put the resolution on what seems to be the lowest 640x480 .3 mp ratio 4:3 and the effect seems to SLIGHTLY be there by hardly noticeable.

For now I will be leaving it on. 3 mp it seems to be usable and not noticeable. But when I opened any third party applications that utilizes my camera like Snapchat it is distorted