Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,173 Members 40,872 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I have a weird problem

Tip us?

robbievengence
Old
(Last edited by robbievengence; 27th April 2014 at 04:26 PM.) Reason: Forgot things
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default I have a weird problem

Everytime I flash a new Rom, my phone will not go past the galaxy note screen, I'm on bonsai 0.5 and it happens with every Rom I try no matter what recovery I use and with full wipes. Any help would be greatly appreciated...also when I flash those and get stuck it will let me reflash bonsai 0.5 and boot right up

emazzy72
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbievengence View Post
Everytime I flash a new Rom, my phone will not go past the galaxy note screen, I'm on bonsai 0.5 and it happens with every Rom I try no matter what recovery I use and with full wipes. Any help would be greatly appreciated...also when I flash those and get stuck it will let me reflash bonsai 0.5 and boot right up

Try booting into download mode... then reboot when given the option. I had a similar issue, this worked for me.
Sprint Galaxy Note 3 - Rooted, tripped up KNOX and lovin' it... stickin' with the 4.3 stockish rom for now...

robbievengence
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by emazzy72 View Post
Try booting into download mode... then reboot when given the option. I had a similar issue, this worked for me.
I have actually tried that to no avail. Thanks tho. Still looking for what could cause this issue. It makes no sense. I've been flashing since the first Droid came out I've never experienced this.

topherk
Old
(Last edited by topherk; 28th April 2014 at 09:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbievengence View Post
I have actually tried that to no avail. Thanks tho. Still looking for what could cause this issue. It makes no sense. I've been flashing since the first Droid came out I've never experienced this.
Ok, from what I can tell, if you're on Bonsai v0.5, then you're still on MJ4. If you try to flash any Kit-Kat based ROM, it's not going to work. You need to go to the stock Kit-Kat bootloader and ROM before you can flash any KK-based custom ROM. I don't fully understand why that's the case, but it is.

I have previously written up instructions on how to do this, which I have copied-and-pasted below. The links should still work, although the files may have been updated to newer versions. They should still work.

Quote:
Detailed instructions on upgrading from a MJ4 (Jellybean) to NAB (KitKat) Rom.
  1. Downloaded all files required. I will provide a link to the files. For all ODIN file flashing, I had "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" checked.
  2. Backed up all "important" files off of the internal memory to the MicroSD card. Copied the fre3 Rom file to the MicroSD Card.
  3. Use ODIN 3.07 "PDA" to flash the MJ4 Stock TAR file (filename: N900PVPUBMJ4_N900PSPTBMJ4_N900PVPUBMJ4_HOME.tar.md 5). Took 5-10 minutes.
  4. Once phone reboots, allow a few minutes for things to get settled. Reboot into Download Mode.
  5. Use ODIN 3.07 "PDA" to flash the NAB Stock TAR file (filename: N900PVPUCNAB_N900PSPTCNAB_N900PVPUCNAB_HOME.tar.md 5). Took 5-10 minutes.
  6. Once phone reboots, allow a few minutes for things to get settled. Reboot into Download Mode.
  7. *Optional Step* Use ODIN 3.07 "Bootloader" to flash the NAB Engineered Bootloader TAR file (filename: nabfirmware.tar). Took 1 minute.
  8. Once phone reboots, allow a few minutes for things to get settled. Reboot into Download Mode.
  9. Use ODIN 3.07 "PDA" to flash the TWRP 2.7.0.0 TAR file (filename: openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-hltespr-4.4.img.tar). Took 1-2 minutes.
  10. Once phone reboots, allow a few minutes for things to get settled. Reboot into Recovery Mode.
  11. Made a TWRP Backup of the Stock NAB Rom, set backup location to the MicroSD Card. Took 5-10 minutes.
  12. Did an "Advanced" Wipe on TWRP. Checked all options except MicroSD Card.
  13. Once done, go back to "wipe" menu in TWRP. Choose "Format Data" and had to type in "yes" to wipe.
  14. Rebooted to Recovery. Do not try to install SuperSu, since you have no ROM loaded yet.
  15. Install the ROM in TWRP.
  16. Rebooted to ROM and allowed a few minutes for everything to settle down.
  17. Rebooted ROM to make sure everything is running fine.

All-in-all, took only about 45 minutes, but with writing this down, I'd say it took a total of 1 hour. Not too shabby.
I hope this helps!

Edit:

Note: As far as I'm aware, once you go to a Kit-Kat based ROM, you will not be able to go back down to a JB ROM. I think some people were trying to figure out a way to do this, but I haven't heard if they've solved it.
Kernal: ROM-provided
Recovery: TWRP v2.7.0.0
Baseband: N900PVPECNC5

Asus Eee Pad Transformer (TF101)
ROM: [4.4.2] [ KatKiss #023c ] [Stable]