Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,159 Members 46,918 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Radio , Modem and Baseband , differences?

Tip us?

Creative9170
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Default Radio , Modem and Baseband , differences?

Sorry for my noob question!! Do "RADIO , MODEM and BASEBAND" have same meanings in LG Optimus G and other mobile phones or they are different things? Because in Optimus G we can erase radio and erase modem separately through fastboot!

Thanks...

Creative9170
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Any help?!

kt-Froggy
Old
Thanks Meter 591
I have no idea about those two separate erase options you are talking about, but typically all three words are used interchangeably. Same thing, no difference.
Optimus G F180S, Sling v2.2.2 (KK 4.4.2)
Xperia X10 Mini, rooted stock 2.1
MeMO Pad HD 7 ME173X, rooted US stock 4.2.2

To whom it may concern: STOP nagging about pressing the freakin' Thanks button!!! It is rude, stupid, and annoying as hell. I am not an idiot who needs a huge in-my-face reminder to press it, and I will press it when I feel thankful, not because you asked for it!
The Following User Says Thank You to kt-Froggy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Creative9170
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Ok good, thanks! I was confused about them. For each custom or stock ROM we have special baseband (radio, modem) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt-Froggy View Post
I have no idea about those two separate erase options you are talking about, but typically all three words are used interchangeably. Same thing, no difference.

kt-Froggy
Old
Thanks Meter 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative9170 View Post
For each custom or stock ROM we have special baseband (radio, modem) ?
No. Baseband/radio/modem is not specific to a particular ROM, but rather to a carrier or a country/area. Most ROMs don't include a baseband, so when you flash a ROM, your original baseband stays unchanged. Unless there is an indication that a particular baseband would be a better choice for that ROM, you should be good with what you've got.

You WILL reflash your baseband if you flash a stock KDZ, because KDZ image replaces everything, including bootloader, baseband, and recovery.

To whom it may concern: STOP nagging about pressing the freakin' Thanks button!!! It is rude, stupid, and annoying as hell. I am not an idiot who needs a huge in-my-face reminder to press it, and I will press it when I feel thankful, not because you asked for it!
The Following User Says Thank You to kt-Froggy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Creative9170
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
No. Baseband/radio/modem is not specific to a particular ROM, but rather to a carrier or a country/area. Most ROMs don't include a baseband, so when you flash a ROM, your original baseband stays unchanged. Unless there is an indication that a particular baseband would be a better choice for that ROM, you should be good with what you've got.

You WILL reflash your baseband if you flash a stock KDZ, because KDZ image replaces everything, including bootloader, baseband, and recovery.
Thanks friend final and last question
You mean if I flash an stock KDZ that is android 4.1.2 , then I use freegee to unlock bootoader and install a custom 4.4.2 ROM that is without baseband/radio , can this 4.4.2 ROM works with stock original baseband/radio that is unchanged?

Sent from my LG-E975 using Tapatalk

kt-Froggy
Old
Thanks Meter 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative9170 View Post
if I flash an stock KDZ that is android 4.1.2 , then I use freegee to unlock bootoader and install a custom 4.4.2 ROM that is without baseband/radio , can this 4.4.2 ROM works with stock original baseband/radio that is unchanged?
Yes, it should work. I personally couldn't make 4.4 work with my Korean baseband, but it's related to the F180 -> E975 "conversion", which is messy, and is known to cause some weird issues. For the actual E975 (or other non-Korean variants), it should be just fine.

rntbarbosa
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Yes, it should work. I personally couldn't make 4.4 work with my Korean baseband, but it's related to the F180 -> E975 "conversion", which is messy, and is known to cause some weird issues. For the actual E975 (or other non-Korean variants), it should be just fine.
thanks.

Brazilian variant (e977) loses LTE when using custom rom, Brazilian lte frequency is different from the European.