Note 3 Red pepper waterproof case review

Search This thread

tpierce89

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 29, 2008
Alabama
I just received my black Red pepper case for my Note 3. I bought it on eBay for $27 and it was shipped from California. Shipping was fast (2 days) and free.

Craftsmanship: 7/10
- Review the photos below and you'll see that the foam area on the inside of the case around the earpiece is misaligned. I am still able to hear calls just fine, but it's a bad look.
- The case fits together very tightly, and in my case it was too tight. I had to trim a few supports off the inside of the back of the case to keep my home button from staying pressed.

Usability: 10/10
- it is easily as waterproof as my Love Mei case and probably even better. All the holes are nicely sealed and the case comes together well.

Looks: 9/10
- in my opinion, the case looks well. It comes in many different colors, so you can easily pick whichever choice pleases you.
- the back of the case is the feaux stitched leather just like the back of the note 3.

Feel: 8/10
- this thing is Light. Much lighter than my aluminum case.
- it did not add much to the height or width of my Note, but it made it about 1/2" thicker.
- the outside of the case is some type of rubber. It feels just like the rubber on the corners of the UAG case. This is great because it doesn't stick to my pockets like silicone. On the other hand, it is a little slippery in my hand, but it is much better than going caseless.

Overall I'd give it an 8/10. The price is so cheap that you can easily get one as a spare and keep it as an outdoors case if you prefer something more elegant as a daily case. The case feels good, and I have a full signal. My GPS is back to normal and I feel like my phone is safe in this case. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a "Lifeproof" style case. I even ordered another for my wife.

Link to the post on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=331244097565&alt=web

Album
http://imgur.com/a/BDzVq

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

tpierce89

Oct 29, 2008
Alabama
veny5uqu.jpg

qyhemu3y.jpg

y9y6ute9.jpg

pysamepa.jpg

yhybunuz.jpg

sahubuja.jpg

I apologize on advance for any poor formatting. I'm on my phone and I cant change it right now. Trying to get things packed to get away from this severe weather.

Sent from my locked down Note 3 via the tapatalk app

Reactions: troyd28

troyd28

Jan 14, 2013
I just received my black Red pepper case for my Note 3. I bought it on eBay for $17 and it was shipped from California. Shipping was fast (2 days) and free.

- Review the photos below and you'll see that the foam area on the inside of the case around the earpiece is misaligned. I am still able to hear calls just fine, but it's a bad look.
- The case fits together very tightly, and in my case it was too tight. I had to trim a few supports off the inside of the back of the case to keep my home button from staying pressed.

- it is easily as waterproof as my Love Mei case and probably even better. All the holes are nicely sealed and the case comes together well.

- in my opinion, the case looks well. It comes in many different colors, so you can easily pick whichever choice pleases you.
- the back of the case is the feaux stitched leather just like the back of the note 3.

- it did not add much to the height or width of my Note, but it made it about 1/2" thicker.
- the outside of the case is some type of rubber. It feels just like the rubber on the corners of the UAG case. This is great because it doesn't stick to my pockets like silicone. On the other hand, it is a little slippery in my hand, but it is much better than going caseless.

Overall I'd give it an 8/10. The price is so cheap that you can easily get one as a spare and keep it as an outdoors case if you prefer something more elegant as a daily case. The case feels good, and I have a full signal. My GPS is back to normal and I feel like my phone is safe in this case. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a "Lifeproof" style case. I even ordered another for my wife.

Album

Hey there that looks good would it be possible to get a link I would like to order one too thanks.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

tpierce89

Oct 29, 2008
Alabama
That's still cheap by the way how are the buttons to press too hard?

No, the menu and back buttons are very sensitive. The power and volume buttons are stiff, but not hard to press if that makes sense. When I first put it on it was too tight and My home button wouldn't function. I had to shave a few millimeters off of all the tabs circled below. Now it fits perfectly and everything is working great.

4udyruje.jpg

Reactions: toenail_flicker

troyd28

Jan 14, 2013
No, the menu and back buttons are very sensitive. The power and volume buttons are stiff, but not hard to press if that makes sense. When I first put it on it was too tight and My home button wouldn't function. I had to shave a few millimeters off of all the tabs circled below. Now it fits perfectly and everything is working great.

4udyruje.jpg

Did you put it in water yet sink glass etc? Well with tissue in it 1st.

tpierce89

Oct 29, 2008
Alabama
No I didn't. This evening is rather hectic in the south. I was so excited to have a new case that I threw it on and packed up my things. I will try to do this test in a bit now that we are in a better place.

troyd28

Jan 14, 2013
No I didn't. This evening is rather hectic in the south. I was so excited to have a new case that I threw it on and packed up my things. I will try to do this test in a bit now that we are in a better place.

Oh are you located where the tornado are touching down? And by the way would you say it's worth it? The case?

tpierce89

Oct 29, 2008
Alabama
Yea, I'm in West Alabama. I'd say it's worth it if you need the protection. I need it for work. I like having all my ports covered too. If I was going for looks I'd go for something like the UAG personally, but this is not a bad looking case. It is sturdy. I'll try the waterproof test and get back.

troyd28

Jan 14, 2013
Yea, I'm in West Alabama. I'd say it's worth it if you need the protection. I need it for work. I like having all my ports covered too. If I was going for looks I'd go for something like the UAG personally, but this is not a bad looking case. It is sturdy. I'll try the waterproof test and get back.

Ok thanks good luck out there hope to hear back soon.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

I held it underwater in the sink for 30 seconds and its completely dry inside. There isn't even a drop of water on the ends of the napkins. I'm pretty impressed.

bumyjetu.jpg

u2yzy6ah.jpg

Very nice now I ordered obex before I seen this I'm going to cancel and get this case because the price is pretty steep I don't mind paying 80$ but I'm hearing people complaints that it's not the best.

tpierce89

Oct 29, 2008
Alabama
I did the same. I just didn't want to pay $80 for a case I had to modify. I don't mind doing a little trimming on this case.

xperiaforme

Nov 9, 2010
How does one know these are not fakes? They are very cheap compared to Red pepper home page and on these ebay pictures they look rather filmsy to me. Also, does the screen protector make a clicking sound on the screen?

tpierce89

Oct 29, 2008
Alabama
be safe with all that severe weather. how is the call quality? can people hear you ok?

The call quality is good. I had to turn my speaker down a little because the sound was a bit distorted. That's not a bad thing though. It is very clear at a medium/high volume and I have had no complaints from people on the other end.

How does one know these are not fakes? They are very cheap compared to Red pepper home page and on these ebay pictures they look rather filmsy to me. Also, does the screen protector make a clicking sound on the screen?

I don't. They could be fake. I'm not making any claims here. I am not the seller, nor am I affiliated with the seller.

I have never held an authentic red pepper case so I can't compare this to that, but if this is a fake It is an elaborate fake. The box and all the accessories are nice. The manual was well written. It looks nothing like a cheap knock off case.

Yes, the screen protector does make a really faint clicking sound when you tap on it, but it is barely noticeable.

troyd28

Jan 14, 2013
I just ordered mines it's just 27.99 that's really nothing compared to 80$ for the obex.

Reactions: tpierce89

troyd28

Jan 14, 2013
Got my case yesterday and no kidding this vs the 80$ obex I trust this more it's solid and really waterproof

Reactions: tpierce89

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just received my black Red pepper case for my Note 3. I bought it on eBay for $27 and it was shipped from California. Shipping was fast (2 days) and free.

Link to the post on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=331244097565&alt=web

Album

Hey guys, just a quick video of my test of the phone underwater. I dunked it into a fish tank that reached about 2 ft down and an incredibly dirty turtle tank only a few inches below the surface. The only problem I had was auto focusing the camera, which is to be expected with the hardware of the phone itself, other than that, it worked flawlessly. Granted this isn't a real life hard-core test of the case's capabilities, but hopefully it will satisfy a few of you that might be on the fence.

I held it underwater in the sink for 30 seconds and its completely dry inside. There isn't even a drop of water on the ends of the napkins. I'm pretty impressed.

bumyjetu.jpg

u2yzy6ah.jpg

Just wanted to throw up oem more video of a bit more real life situation. I was at a local park with the girlfriend and wanted to try and get a few up close and personal shots of the koi located in the pond. The more I use this case, the more I love it. I'm around water most of the time and a lot of my extra time is used being around the water, and this is an awesome case. I have a GoPro as well and obviously trust the casing on that thing to better protect my device, but for 30 bucks and the ability to upload pictures and videos almost instantly is a god send. Plus I'm now way less scared of seriously hurting the phone. Before, I babied the device, now I feel perfectly fine taking it with me EVERYWHERE. The size is a little unwieldy but that's to be expected with the form factor of the base phone.