Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,667 Members 49,610 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Ad Blocking

Tip us?

fmcfad01
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
I think everyone is missing the point of this thread. The usual apps install a hosts, but the hosts files is not blocking ads on skyfall, and I assume all sense ROMs.

Any idea why?

Use adfree is not an answer.

adavit
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
I think everyone is missing the point of this thread. The usual apps install a hosts, but the hosts files is not blocking ads on skyfall, and I assume all sense ROMs.

Any idea why?

That's really weird. I'm running skyfall 2.1 with adaway and my ads are blocked in chrome.

fmcfad01
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavit View Post
That's really weird. I'm running skyfall 2.1 with adaway and my ads are blocked in chrome.
Maybe I need a wipe. Thanks for the info!

adavit
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Maybe I need a wipe. Thanks for the info!
No problem. When I installed I did do a clean wipe. If that doesn't help, might try asking the Dev of the rom about it.

w4itg
Old
Thanks Meter 26
I like removing ads myself but apps like Weatherbug that show random ads at the bottom of the app screen although the ads don't show the spot is blank and eats up space that could show app stuff. In other words why bother.

But on another note I found adaway works best.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app

Tigerstown
Old
Thanks Meter 417
Quote:

Any idea why?

Not all sense Roms cause my host file works great on every Rom I tried/use. No banner ads no ads anywhere ever.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
sent from my 4.1ghz 8 core AMD unlocked fx black editon beast machine running win8.1/ubuntu12.04
The Following User Says Thank You to Tigerstown For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DPArnety
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Just trying to get this straight! (Since I am unable to post in the development forum I am doing it here). I am running Bone Stock ROM. He says the ROM has adblocking, which some seem to be blocked. Adaway (which i used on my Gal Nexus CM phone previously) is also installed on the ROM. How come when I use AdAway on the ROM and before i put the ROM on my phone when i got to add/update the host files it always fails? What is happening since everybody seems to be getting adblocking to work?

Tigerstown
Old
Thanks Meter 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPArnety View Post
Just trying to get this straight! (Since I am unable to post in the development forum I am doing it here). I am running Bone Stock ROM. He says the ROM has adblocking, which some seem to be blocked. Adaway (which i used on my Gal Nexus CM phone previously) is also installed on the ROM. How come when I use AdAway on the ROM and before i put the ROM on my phone when i got to add/update the host files it always fails? What is happening since everybody seems to be getting adblocking to work?
Mine worked
I couldn't get it to work with pre installed ad away so I installed the apk I always use an I worked.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1398727497365.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	2714618  
sent from my 4.1ghz 8 core AMD unlocked fx black editon beast machine running win8.1/ubuntu12.04

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tigerstown For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]