Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,209 Members 36,773 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A plea to all Developers and Contributors

Tip us?

troby86
Old
Thanks Meter 914

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by original_ganjaman View Post
I cant really agree with this. First off, asking permission is polite, its the reaction to that request that is the issue. If the request is reasonable and for the benefit of the community, i would like to think any devoted member/dev would be willing to share the knowledge. Chances are, that dev picked up a lot of knowledge from this very forum beforehand, so not to share prevents this circle of knowledge. Credit, is just a given.

I also have to say your simplified way of "porting" is a bit disagreeable. Some of these guys put many hours of work into their ROMs, so to say all that should be dismissed due to the original code being that of HTC, is a little unfair. It sounds contradictory, so...

We have 2 issues:

1 - Free sharing of work
2 - The protection of devs who have put hours of work into a project and wish to keep it "exclusive"

Both have to be considered, imho

Its a matter of balance, one with the rules (that i think we have) and the other with attitude.

As Zel said, HTC could pull the plug at any time. Making this a non issue.
True. I see your point. The way I see it, is if it was mandatory to provide credit vs asking for permission, things would be much smoother here. And I highly doubt developers would leave XDA just because others didn't need permission, because they would still be required to provide credit to that developer, so their "exclusiveness" would still be there, due to the other needing to provide credit.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

DEVICE: HTC One (T-Mobile)
ROM: United SSA v1.0.0 (Official TMOUS Sense 6)
RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.0.0

O_G
Old
Senior Moderator - Life Can't Beat Me
Thanks Meter 4,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by troby86 View Post
True. I see your point. The way I see it, is if it was mandatory to provide credit vs asking for permission, things would be much smoother here. And I highly doubt developers would leave XDA just because others didn't need permission, because they would still be required to provide credit to that developer, so their "exclusiveness" would still be there, due to the other needing to provide credit.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app
Unfortunately, nothing is that simple. We are forgetting issue 2 as you have taken "exclusive" the wrong way. I mean to retain rights only for a individual/team. They have the right to do that, and we must respect it. On the other hand, the reasons behind this can vary, ego, feelings of others "ripping off" their work and claiming credit for minor changes, who knows, its down to the individual i guess. Either way its a shame, as its not what XDA is about, the "Ethos" has somewhat been lost.

As i said, its about looking at the bigger picture and trying to take both parties points into account.
Age, catamite - fac mihi hunc diem felicissimum
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to O_G For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zelendel
Old
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Thanks Meter 11,137

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotha View Post
And it's not new, nor confined to Sense. I remember when I made skins for MobileShell on Windows Mobile there were guys who refused to share basic knowledge just to have a headstart. It was simple xml, no high-end coding, so nothing that would earn you fame and fortune. And that was in 2008 or so...
It's just an ego thing and it will always be here. So the limits have to be set from time to time obviously to keep things stright and under control.
Oh god I remember those days of theming WM and Touch flow. I never had issues with questions being answered then, as long as I did my proper research first of course.

But I think we all agree that there will always be egos and that will spoil alot for many. As long as there are still a few good apples around then that's all we can really ask for.

Bat cave One

If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
SearchFu
Never Ask someone to do something your not willing to at least try to do yourself.
"Gotham is the work of a madman"- NunHugger Current Nexus 5-12 Nightly