Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,443 Members 47,698 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root it or leave it?

Tip us?

AspenSTi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Default Root it or leave it?

Just got my g2 a few days ago and am loving it so far. I am however missing a few things that root fixes, those of you that have rooted already would you say it's worth it at this point?

Seems like there are a lot of quirks with the g2 and custom ROMs (especially aosp). Just being a past Crack flasher I still get the itch. Thought I might ask before taking the plunge.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Swizzle82
Old
Thanks Meter 34
This is the first phone I've been able to tolerate not being rooted. I do want it as soon as straight forward method surfaces, but I'm surprisingly content. I might add though I'm not a custom rom type of guy. I like to do my own mods and individual ports on stock rooted.

AspenSTi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Agreed, for not rooting it yet I also am very happy. But just like you having the ability to customize it a little bit more would be nice.

buenarc
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspenSTi View Post
Agreed, for not rooting it yet I also am very happy. But just like you having the ability to customize it a little bit more would be nice.

rooted or not, this is the most useful phone for me. double clap!

Kalash
Old
(Last edited by Kalash; 21st April 2014 at 11:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 19
I need root.
I have apps I need on my tablet that will only install on phones (titanium backup, restore to tablet).

I also can't navigate a phone without LMT any more *sigh*

The bright side is that I have things setup so that I can swap phones - and everything looks and functions the same.
TSF Shell (pricey, but practical), LMT Pie Only (from XDA) - with my 2nd row and long presses bunched up with all my common applications.

The interface is a "want" - but means I can pick up my moto X with republic wireless or my G2 with TMobile, and have the same functions in the same places - and immediate access to Gmail, SMS, phone, camera, music, Play store, AMZ play store, LIFX, and maps - all with one swipe.

It's gotten to be a muscle memory for app launching for me.
But... as for your use and needs, only you can really decide that.

As for custom roms....
I'm still on stock with Xposed...
G2 TweaksBox, LG Pie Support, and RootCloak enabled. That is.
I tried AOSP roms on my sprint G2, but didn't find any real benefits to it, nor any I was really happy with.
Normally I jump from stock ASAP. This phone - with Xposed - you really don't need to leave stock.
http://arave.co - Eh. nothing there. I'll stop being lazy eventually...

AspenSTi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
It's my understanding that tot is the method to use to root correct? And there aren't any of the white line or any other random issues while using the "stock" ROMs right?

buenarc
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspenSTi View Post
It's my understanding that tot is the method to use to root correct? And there aren't any of the white line or any other random issues while using the "stock" ROMs right?

I think it would be better to stick with what is on the package. making some manipulation may have some issues in the future..

TheBestEver
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Rooting is the only option anymore lol