Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,442 Members 40,002 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Optimum App Unrestrict HDMI out

Tip us?

marsui
Old
(Last edited by marsui; 12th March 2014 at 01:43 PM.) Reason: Update
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Optimum App Unrestrict HDMI out

I recently got into Android "hacking" and my first project was to un-restrict HDMI out whilst using the Optimum app.

So I don't want to violate any forum rules, but I didn't see anything about whether or not I can post a hacked apk for others to use - however the clause about copyrighted material got me nervous....

I plan on continuing to hack this app and possibly remove the restriction that you have to be in your home wifi to use.

So I have the APK ready to upload, is it OK to do so in this post?

(I realize this is kind of a question, but my intent was to share the hacked app in this post)

Edit: See latest post, app crashes when trying to stream video.

criticalera
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsui View Post
I recently got into Android "hacking" and my first project was to un-restrict HDMI out whilst using the Optimum app.

So I don't want to violate any forum rules, but I didn't see anything about whether or not I can post a hacked apk for others to use - however the clause about copyrighted material got me nervous....

I plan on continuing to hack this app and possibly remove the restriction that you have to be in your home wifi to use.

(I realize this is kind of a question, but my intent was to share the hacked app in this post)
not sure but I would love to test it for u, also if you can makeit compatible for android4.1.2. that would be great

el_easy
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:

You can post here, you're not violate any forum rules, as matter as fact you can find such app in HBO GO thread , I'm using app calls ''hdmi virtual switch'' because I couldn't play SHOWTIME ANYTIME because didn't support HDMI OUT,so thanks for such app I can HBO and SHOWTIME with no problem..

Xiaomi Redmi 1S

- ANDROID OS: Android-Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
- MODEL VERSION: HM 1SW
- MIUI VERSION: JHCMIBF35.0
********************** PLUS ************************
- Ugoos UM2: WiFi CHIP RK3188 AP6210

marsui
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_easy View Post
You can post here, you're not violate any forum rules, as matter as fact you can find such app in HBO GO thread , I'm using app calls ''hdmi virtual switch'' because I couldn't play SHOWTIME ANYTIME because didn't support HDMI OUT,so thanks for such app I can HBO and SHOWTIME with no problem..
HDMI virtual switch does not work for the optimum app, it doesn't just check that file, and it also doesn't just simply listen for the HDMI intent in a standard way. I downloaded rom toolbox pro, there is an app within there called Auto Start Manager, this actually looks at the intents being listened to by various apps, I actually used that to get SHOWTIME ANYTIME to work, I didn't realize "HDMI virtual switch" worked for that. Showtime actually has an HDMIBroadCastReceiver that this blocks perfectly, no such receiver in the optimum app =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by criticalera View Post
not sure but I would love to test it for u, also if you can makeit compatible for android4.1.2. that would be great
So I had the app working working with HDMI output, no errors from the app stating it does not support HDMI out on load. App was mirroring great. Then I get home, go on my home network where I can actually stream video, and as soon as a channel starts to load, the app crashes and restarts. I thought it was my mod, but it turns out the decompile must not be good enough. I've tried de-compiling and recompiling without even making any code changes a number of different ways, using different versions of APK-TOOL, different methods of signing, not decompiling resources, decompiling resources and fixing those stupid .9 patch images or whatever, I tried using Virtuous Ten Studio and APK-Multi-Tool (which I know all use Apk-Tool, but I was just hoping I was doing something wrong. All with the same results, mirroring works until you start to stream a channel - then crash.

I'm going to have to get better at smali coding, the app seems pretty complex, just finding the code to modify for hdmi output was tricky, I have no idea what could be causing it to crash only when you start to stream video, but I'm sure there is a ton of stuff going in their code. I might have to check syntax on every smali file but that would take forever. If I had a tool that would scan all files for syntax errors maybe I could see where the problems are, but it could very well be that its all syntactically correct but just something from the decompile breaks it.

I also wanted to try writing an xposed module, but just like Final Fantasy, the optimum app won't even load with Xposed installed, even if I convert both to system apps.

I'm going to keep digging, I was trying to find someone else who decompiled the app and maybe got it to recompile, I had come across a thread where someone successfully decompiled and recompiled the comcast app, so maybe there is hope!

el_easy
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:

I'm going to have to get better at smali coding, the app seems pretty complex, just finding the code to modify for hdmi output was tricky, I have no idea what could be causing it to crash only when you start to stream video, but I'm sure there is a ton of stuff going in their code. I might have to check syntax on every smali file but that would take forever. If I had a tool that would scan all files for syntax errors maybe I could see where the problems are, but it could very well be that its all syntactically correct but just something from the decompile breaks it.

I also wanted to try writing an xposed module, but just like Final Fantasy, the optimum app won't even load with Xposed installed, even if I convert both to system apps.

I'm going to keep digging, I was trying to find someone else who decompiled the app and maybe got it to recompile, I had come across a thread where someone successfully decompiled and recompiled the comcast app, so maybe there is hope!
I don't know anything about decompiled apps, but why not go to HBO GO thread ask @HBOTroll1 how he did that?

thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show..._utmk=25800510

Xiaomi Redmi 1S

- ANDROID OS: Android-Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
- MODEL VERSION: HM 1SW
- MIUI VERSION: JHCMIBF35.0
********************** PLUS ************************
- Ugoos UM2: WiFi CHIP RK3188 AP6210

marsui
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_easy View Post
I don't know anything about decompiled apps, but why not go to HBO GO thread ask @HBOTroll1 how he did that?

thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show..._utmk=25800510
Hehe already did =P

ionizer5
Old
Thanks Meter 0
any progress in getting hdmi out for the optimum app?

i really want to be able to use my phone to stream cable via wifi during the summer and not have to dig out a cable box + Cable