Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,145 Members 45,659 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ways of Getting Outside Files Directly to External Storage in 4.4

Tip us?

BarryH_GEG
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4,180
Default Ways of Getting Outside Files Directly to External Storage in 4.4

I posted this in another thread but thought it might be generally helpful as the "unrooted" deal with the external storage limitations of 4.4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Affy View Post
@BarryH_GEG could I tranfer lets say a film from Internal Storage to SDCard on KitKat??

Thanks in advance.
The work-around to getting pretty much anything to external SD is Samsung's My Files. The challenge is moving huge files, that or moving a lot of files simultaneously that are collectively huge. There might not be enough free space on your internal storage to get the files on to your device. Here's a couple of ways of getting files directly to external storage. Like everyone else I'm not thrilled with the new external SD card restrictions but there are ways to accomplish pretty much anything. The only thing I haven't found a work around for is syncing. I ended up moving a bunch of apps and files to external storage so I could move my sync folders to internal storage.

You can setup a two-window instance of My Files and drag-and-drop content directly from Dropbox to External SD.

You can also use Samsung Link to transfer files from another Samsung device, a PC, or a cloud service (Dropbox, OneDrive, Box) directly to external storage. IMHO, Samsung Link is one of the most overlooked features Samsung provides. It's fantastic for managing and viewing files across devices. For example, I can take a picture with my Gear which transfers it to my N3. I can view, edit, and share the pic from my N10.1-14 or PC seconds later. Anyway, here's a screen shot of it.

One of the great features of Samsung Link is that all registered devices are available to all other registered devices whether or not they're on the same Wi-Fi network. It even works over 3/4G. When devices are on the same network they have root access to each other. When they're not they have access to up to 10 user-specified folders or directories.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

grandcentral
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Another Possible Workaround for SD Card Files

This might be a work around for some users that have different files on your sd card. If you hook up your tablet to a computer (I used Windows 7) with the provided usb cable, Windows will see your device both the internal and external card. You can create folders through your pc and simply put your different files in the folders, for example for pdf's you could make a folder pdf then put all your pdf's into the folder, you can even drag and drop on the computer. I did that with a bunch of mp3's I had. I then used ES File Explorer to navigate to the folder on my tablet and all the files were available and worked properly. Might not be for everyone but I hope it helps for some users with the Kit Kat limitations.

compumasta
Old
Thanks Meter 43
It might be useful to note that the stock browser can also download files directly to the SD card in any folder you want.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to compumasta For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]